Solve the expression for n Є N

• Thread starter six789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the problem is that when solving the expression for n Є N, there is a conflict between the terms 2n+4 and 2n+3. When canceling out the factors in the denominator, some of the factors in the numerator remain. This causes the equation to become impossible to solve.
six789
i just want to confirm if my answer is right...
this is the problem:

solve the expression for n Є N

P(2n + 4, 3) = 2/3P(n+4, 4)

this is my work:

(2n +4)!/((2n +4)-3)!) = (2/3(n+4)!)/((n+4)!)-4)!)
(2n +4)!/((2n +1)! )= (2/3(n+4)!)/(n!)

and i don't know wat to do next... should i just cross multiply it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
permutations

help me with this if my answer is correct...
help is appreciated...

Last edited:
help from anyone with this problem...

Last edited:
start canceling terms. if you have [tex]\frac{(2n+4)!}{(2n+1)!}[/tex] and you understand what factorial means, you can cancel all the factors in the denominator with some in the numerator. do this as well to the right side of your equation. then try to solve.

Gale said:
start canceling terms. if you have [tex]\frac{(2n+4)!}{(2n+1)!}[/tex] and you understand what factorial means, you can cancel all the factors in the denominator with some in the numerator. do this as well to the right side of your equation. then try to solve.
so you mean [tex]\frac{(2n+4)!}{(2n+1)!}[/tex] is same thing as writing as (2n+4)(2n+3)(2n+2)(2n+1)/(2n+1)?

uh, well the (2n+1)'s cancel out. but ya. that's how a factorial works. so do the same to other side and go.

correct me if I am wrong ok? I've try the other side... should you make the numerator 2/3(n+4)! to -2/3(n-4)! in order to cancel it from n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)?

no... i think you're missing something...

[tex]\frac{2/3(n+4)!}{n!}= \frac{2/3(n+4)(n+3)(n+2)(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)...}{n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)...}[/tex]
so you're left with only [tex] 2/3(n+4)(n+3)(n+2)(n+1)[/tex] cause you can cancel the rest out. do you see this?? does it make sense? this is what we did to the other side as well.

now i get gale... thanks so m uch, and it is clearer for me now...

what if you get like this... -24(2n+3)(n+4)(n+3) = 0...
what should i do to the -24? or it is just 0, then the value for n is just n=-2/3, n=-4 and n=-3?

well, I'm not really sure how you got that... its not what i get. what's your equation after you've simplified? i get something simple enough to multiply out and then combine like terms. then solve.

i got like (2n+4)(2n+3)(2n+2) = 2/3(n+4)(n+3)(n+2)(n+1)
then... 2(n+2)(2n+3)2(n+1) = 2/3(n+4)(n+3)(n+2)(n+1)
which is 4(2n+3) = 2/3(n+4)(n+3)
and i don't know wat to do next

multiply it out and simplify, its just a quadractic.

1. What does "n Є N" mean?

The symbol "Є" means "belongs to" or "is an element of". In this case, "n Є N" means that n is a natural number.

2. How do I solve an expression for n Є N?

To solve an expression for n Є N, you need to follow the rules of algebra and use properties of natural numbers. Start by simplifying the expression as much as possible, then isolate the variable n on one side of the equation.

3. Can you give an example of solving an expression for n Є N?

Yes, for example, if we have the expression 2n + 4 = 12, we can solve for n by first subtracting 4 from both sides to get 2n = 8. Then, we divide both sides by 2 to get n = 4. Therefore, n Є N in this case.

4. Are there any special cases when solving for n Є N?

Yes, when dividing both sides by a variable, n in this case, make sure that n is not equal to 0. This is because division by 0 is undefined and can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. Can expressions with multiple variables be solved for n Є N?

Yes, as long as there is only one variable that is n and the rest are constants, the expression can be solved for n Є N. If there are multiple variables, additional information or equations may be needed to solve for n.