How to Solve a Nonlinear ODE using Variable Changes

In summary, the conversation is about solving a nonlinear ODE by changing variables and converting it to an equation for d(theta)/dr. The individual is unsure if they are on the right track and asks for help. After attempting the solution, they realize they made a mistake but eventually arrive at the correct answer.
ynotidas

Homework Statement

Solve the nonlinear ODE

du/dx=(u+x√(x^2+u^2 ))/(x-u√(x^2+u^2 ))

by changing variables to x=rcos(theta), u=rsin(theta) and converting the equation to one for d(theta)/dr.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if I'm going in the right direction.

du/dx = du/d(theta) x d(theta)/dx

u = rsin(theta), du/d(theta) = rcos(theta)
x = rcos(theta), dx/d(theta) = -rsin(theta),
i.e. d(theta)/dx = -1/rsin(theta)

so du/dx = rcos(theta)/-1rsin(theta) = - cos(theta)/sin(theta)

then i sub x=rcos(theta), u=rsin(theta) in the main equation

- cos(theta)/sin(theta) = rsin(theta)+rcos(theta)√(r^2sin^2(theta) etc etc..

so i gather the r^2, and make the sin^2+cos^2 both to one, then the √r^2 goes to just 'r'.

then i take divide the whole equation by r

du/dx = -cos(theta)/sin(theta) = [sin(theta)+rcos(theta)]/[rcos(theta)-rsin(theta)

so i times the sin(theta) over the right side and the other to the right..
and i get 1=0...

can someone put me in the right direction on what i did wrong?

thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
actually the answer is d(theta)/dr = 1, if any of you were wondering.

needed to differentiate x and u in terms of r and theta with the product rule.

1. How do I solve a nonlinear ODE?

Nonlinear ODEs cannot be solved using standard methods like separation of variables or integrating factors. Instead, they require more advanced techniques such as substitution, linearization, or numerical methods like Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear ODE?

A linear ODE is one in which the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only in a linear fashion, while a nonlinear ODE has terms that are not proportional to the dependent variable or its derivatives. This makes nonlinear ODEs more difficult to solve analytically.

3. Can all nonlinear ODEs be solved analytically?

No, not all nonlinear ODEs have a closed-form solution. In some cases, the only way to solve them is through numerical methods or approximations. However, certain types of nonlinear ODEs, such as separable or exact ODEs, can be solved analytically.

4. How do I know if a solution to a nonlinear ODE is correct?

To check if a solution to a nonlinear ODE is correct, you can substitute it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also plot the solution and see if it matches the behavior of the ODE.

5. Can software programs help in solving nonlinear ODEs?

Yes, there are many software programs and programming languages, such as MATLAB or Python, that have built-in functions and libraries for solving nonlinear ODEs. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions to the ODE. However, it is still important to understand the underlying mathematics and techniques behind solving nonlinear ODEs.