1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the system Ax = B

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    I am having trouble solving this problem. Since in order to solve for x we need to find (A^-1)B but the problem is that in order to find A^-1 when we do the determinant I get 0 so that implies
    it is inconsistent. I am not sure I have the right approach to this question.

Any help will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The determinant being zero does not necessarily mean the system is inconsistent. The proper method to solve is to use row reduction on the augmented matrix. You may find there are infinitely many solutions.

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    Ok so this is what I am doing
    I used the row reduction method and I found this

[0 0 0 | -7/4]
    [0 0 1 | -1/4]
    [1 1 0 | 7/4]

But now the problem again is same if you look at the first row it clearly implying 0 = -7/4 which is absurd so doesnt it mean that the system is inconsistent. Or did I have done something wrong?

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would indeed imply the system is inconsistent. But I think you made an arithmetic mistake somewhere in your row reduction. Hard to say where since you didn't show your steps.

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The mistake is in the top row, in the constant at the right.

7. Apr 16, 2012 #6
    Yea I did made a mistake. Now everything looks good.
    So this is my final matrix now

[1 1 0 | 7/4]
    [0 0 0 | 0]
    [0 0 1 | -1/4]

so that implies y = s, x = 7/4 -s and z = -1/4.

Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook