Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solve the system.

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    y=x^2
    y=x-1/4

I really need help with this question. i don't know how to do these types of questions with fractions. i can't think, i need to sleep :zzz:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Edit: I jumped a step. Both equations are equal to y, so [tex]x^2=x-\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Get everything onto the same side of the equation. You have a quadratic equation.

Factoring fractions really isn't that much different than integers. You figure out the combinations that will equal 1/4 when multiplied together. For example:

[tex]\frac{1}{4}* 1 = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

and so on. Add the combinations together and hopefully one of them will equal your middle coefficient (1 in this case).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  4. Sep 15, 2005 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then, you can just use the quadratic formula to solve for the roots.

5. Sep 15, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that y=x-1/4 can be rewritten as 4y=4x-1. (No fractions here!)

As BobG suggests, since y=x^2 replace y in (4y=4x-1) by x^2:
    4(x^2)=4x-1.

Then, as EnumaElish suggests, use the quadratic formula [after writing it in standard form].

An alternate method is to plot the two curves (one is a parabola and one is a line) then locate the intersection points.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook