Is This Differential Equation Misplaced in the Precalculus Forum?

• Thread starter fan_103
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation. The person asking for help has tried various methods but is struggling to find the correct answer, which is y=A \sqrt{x^2+y^2}. The person helping suggests that the equation is in a specific class and advises the person to search for it themselves. They also point out a technical error and provide a solution using a substitution method. The conversation ends with a question about where to post similar questions.
fan_103
1.Solve this differential equation

2.(x^2+y^2)y'=xy

3. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? The rules in this forum state that you must show some effort before we'll help you out.

Ok mate I have tried it
(x^2+y^2)dy/dx=xy

Divide by [tex]y*(x^2+y^2)[/tex] : 1/y dy/dx= [tex]x/(x^2+y^2)[/tex].

[tex]\int {1/y}[/tex] dy= 1/2[tex] \int {x/(x^2+y^2)}[/tex]

My answer is y=A [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex].

Last edited:
I don't see how you get that answer from the equation above it.
There are various classes of differential equations that can be solved.
This one is in one of those classes.
It's probably more instructive to search for which class it is in yourself.

Can anyone help me please its very important!

fan_103 said:
Ok mate I have tried it
(x^2+y^2)dy/dx=xy

Divide by [tex]y*(x^2+y^2)[/tex] : 1/y dy/dx= [tex]x/(x^2+y^2)[/tex].

[tex]\int {1/y}[/tex] dy= 1/2[tex] \int {x/(x^2+y^2)}[/tex]
You don't have a "dx" on the right

My answer is y=A [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex].
That may seem like a technical point but it would have reminded you that you are integrating on the right with respect to x and y is some (unknown) function of x, not a constant. This is NOT a separable equation- that is you cannot get only x on one side of the equation and only y on the other.

It is, however, a "homogeneous" first order equation. If you divide both sides of the equation by [itex]x^2[/itex], you get
[tex](1+ \left(\frac{y}{x}\right)^2)dy= \frac{y}{x}dx[/tex]
Let u= y/x. Don't for get to replace dy: y= ux so dy= xdu+ udx.

Why was this posted under "Precalculus"?

I forgot to write the dx on the right.
Thanks a lot mate!Really appreciate ur effort!

Why was this posted under "Precalculus"? Where should I post these kind of questions...

fan_103 said:
I forgot to write the dx on the right.
Thanks a lot mate!Really appreciate ur effort!

Why was this posted under "Precalculus"? Where should I post these kind of questions...

In Calculus and Beyond...

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It expresses how a quantity changes over time or space, and is used to model many natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series or Laplace transforms.

3. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the unknown function that satisfies the equation, and to understand the behavior and relationships of the variables involved. This is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can all differential equations be solved?

No, not all differential equations have closed-form solutions that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Some equations can only be solved numerically, while others may not have a solution at all.

5. Are there any tips for solving differential equations?

Yes, some tips for solving differential equations include: understanding the type of equation and choosing an appropriate method, breaking down the equation into smaller parts, and checking the solution for correctness. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of calculus and algebra.