Can You Crack the Coral Growth Equation Mystery?

• Thread starter Overflowing
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves trying to solve an equation involving T, Q, and I in the context of estimating coral growth in a marine aquarium. The use of the Lambert function is mentioned and a link to Wolfram Alpha is provided for further understanding. The equation involves logarithmic functions and substitution, and the solution for Q is derived as q = t - W[2^(t-2)log(2)]/log(2). The participants express their appreciation for the help.
Overflowing
This one has me stumped. This is not homework, this is someone's attempt to estimate growth of corals in a marine aquarium. I don't know where he came up with this equation...

[tex]
T = Q + 2^{(Q-2)}
[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you can solve for Q here

I've been trying to figure it out with ln functions and substitution, etc...I've seen something like this before in college it seems. Some kind of transform or algorithm...just can't put my finger on it.

[tex](t-q)=2^{q-2}[/tex]
[tex](t-q)2^{2-q+t}=2^t[/tex]
[tex](t-q)2^{t-q}=2^{t-2}[/tex]
[tex]\log(2)(t-q)e^{(t-q)\log(2)}=\log(2)2^{t-2}[/tex]
[tex]t-q=\frac{W[2^{t-2}\log(2)]}{\log(2)}[/tex]

[tex]q=t-\frac{W[2^{t-2}\log(2)]}{\log(2)}[/tex]

You guys rock

Thanks!

1. What does it mean to "solve an equation for Q"?

When an equation is solved for a variable, it means that we are finding the value or values of that variable that make the equation true. In this case, we are looking for the values of Q that satisfy the equation.

2. What are the steps to solve an equation for Q?

The steps to solve an equation for Q include isolating Q on one side of the equation, and then simplifying the other side using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to end up with an equation in the form of Q = some value or values.

3. Can an equation have more than one solution for Q?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution for Q. This means that there can be multiple values of Q that satisfy the equation. It is important to check the validity of these solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.

4. What do I do if I get a negative value for Q when solving the equation?

If you get a negative value for Q, it means that the value is valid but it may not be the most practical or realistic solution. In some cases, it may be necessary to use the absolute value of Q to represent the solution.

5. Are there any special rules or properties I should keep in mind when solving equations for Q?

Yes, there are some special rules and properties that can be used when solving equations for Q. These include the distributive property, combining like terms, and the rules for solving equations involving exponents. It is important to understand these rules and how to apply them in order to solve equations correctly.