Equation Solving: sin(x) - cos(2x) = 0

• Thread starter reddawg
  • Start date
In summary, an equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two quantities and can be solved to find the value of a variable. To solve an equation for x, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign using inverse operations. The order of operations for solving an equation for x is PEMDAS, and an equation can have more than one solution for x. To check if a solution for x is correct, you can substitute it back into the original equation.
reddawg

Homework Statement

0 = sin(x) - cos(2x)

Original problem asks to find the critical numbers of f(x) = 2cos(x) + sin(2x) . . . above is its derivative simplified and what I need to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
reddawg said:

Homework Statement

0 = sin(x) - cos(2x)

Original problem asks to find the critical numbers of f(x) = 2cos(x) + sin(2x) . . . above is its derivative simplified and what I need to solve.

Have you ever seen cos2x in any formula?

Yes...

cos2x=1-2sin^2(x)

I can use that to my advantage I realizes...

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two quantities. It contains an equal sign (=) and can be solved to find the value of a variable.

2. How do I solve an equation for x?

To solve an equation for x, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign. You can do this by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any other terms or numbers on that side of the equation. When you have x by itself on one side, the value of x is the solution to the equation.

3. What is the order of operations when solving an equation for x?

The order of operations for solving an equation for x is the same as the general order of operations in math, which is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). You need to perform operations in this order to correctly isolate the variable and solve the equation.

4. Can an equation have more than one solution for x?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution for x. For example, the equation x² = 16 has two solutions, x = 4 and x = -4. These are called "solutions" or "roots" of the equation. However, some equations may have no solution or an infinite number of solutions.

5. How do I check if my solution for x is correct?

You can check if your solution for x is correct by substituting it back into the original equation and seeing if it makes the equation true. If it does, then your solution is correct. If it does not, then you may have made a mistake in your calculations or the equation may not have a solution for the given variable.