Is My Solution to the Exact Differential Equation Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the exact differential method. The approach is confirmed to be correct and the conversation also mentions the importance of checking the solution using total derivatives. The final solution is verified by taking the total derivative, which is consistent with the original equation.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Solve the exact differential equation
Relevant Equations
exact equations
1614344756863.png

1614344793714.png

now my approach is different, i just want to check that my understanding on this is correct.

see my working below;

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
##2xy-9x^2+(2y+x^2+1)\frac {dy}{dx}=0##
##2xy-9x^2dx+(2y+x^2+1)dy=0##
Let ##M(x,y)=2xy-9x^2##
##N(x,y)=2y+x^2+1## Since ##\frac {∂M}{∂y}=2x=\frac {∂N}{∂x}=## then the differential equation is exact.
Therefore, ##\int Mdx## = ##x^2y-3x^3+F(y)##........1
and ##\int Ndy## = ##y^2+x^2y+y+c ##......2
therefore, ##F(y)= y^2+y+c##......3

therefore, we shall have (from 1 and 3), ## x^2y-3x^3+y^2+y=c##
i understand it this way better, i just want to know if this is also correct.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Looks fine to me.

Likes chwala
That's how I understand it better from my undergraduate studies...thanks

Likes Delta2
chwala said:
i just want to know if this is also correct.
Once you have your solution, it's good practice to check by finding the total derivative of your expression, which you should be able to manipulate back into the form the equation was given in.

The solution is correct, its a textbook question...my interest was on the approach or rather my way of working the problem to realize the solution.
Thanks Mark for your input. Yeah I will use total derivatives to check the solution...

Mark44 said:
Once you have your solution, it's good practice to check by finding the total derivative of your expression, which you should be able to manipulate back into the form the equation was given in.

just to follow your guidance, on checking...
let ##u=x^2y-3x^3+y^2+y##
##f_{x}=2xy-9x^2##
##f_{y}=x^2+2y+1##
therefore,
##du=f_{x} dx+f_{y} dy##
##du=(2xy-9x^2)dx+(x^2+2y+1)dy##
bingo!

What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation where the solution can be found by integrating both sides of the equation. In other words, the solution is a function whose derivative is equal to the given equation.

How do I know if a differential equation is exact?

A differential equation is exact if it can be written in the form of M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0, where M and N are functions of x and y. Additionally, the partial derivatives of M and N with respect to y and x, respectively, are equal.

What is the process for solving an exact differential equation?

The process for solving an exact differential equation involves finding the integrating factor, which is a function that is used to transform the equation into an exact one. Then, the equation can be solved by integrating both sides and solving for the constant of integration.

Can an exact differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an exact differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the constant of integration that is added when integrating both sides can take on different values, resulting in different solutions.

Are there any special cases when solving an exact differential equation?

Yes, there are two special cases when solving an exact differential equation. The first is when the integrating factor is a function of only one variable, making the equation separable. The second is when the integrating factor is a function of both x and y, making the equation exact without the need for any additional steps.