How Do You Solve the Inequality \(\frac{1}{2^x} > \frac{1}{x^2}\)?

In summary, the conversation discusses using knowledge of exponents to solve an inequality and finding the points of intersection between the two equations. The speaker suggests using regions and approximation to find the solution as it cannot be expressed explicitly in terms of elementary functions.
zeion

Homework Statement

Use your knowledge of exponents to solve

[tex] \frac{1}{2^x} > \frac{1}{x^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] x^2 > 2^x [/tex]

Then I am stuck.

I know they intersect at x = 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find out when the equality holds. Let's say they hold at a and b. This will give you regions [tex] ]-\infty,a[, ]a,b[, ]b,+\infty[ [/tex]. From any region, pick a point and check if the inequality is satisfied at that point. If so, then that region is part of the solution.

micromass said:
Try to find out when the equality holds. Let's say they hold at a and b. This will give you regions [tex] ]-\infty,a[, ]a,b[, ]b,+\infty[ [/tex]. From any region, pick a point and check if the inequality is satisfied at that point. If so, then that region is part of the solution.

Thing is I don't know how to find what a and b are. (Except for 2)

Well, yeah, I don't think you can explicitly find the value of a and b (except for 2). But you know from the graph that such an a and b exist and where they lie.

zeion said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] x^2 > 2^x [/tex]

Then I am stuck.

I know they intersect at x = 2.

They intersect at x=2 because [itex]2^2 = 2^2[/tex]

What about x=4?
Does [itex]4^2 = 2^4[/tex] ?

Yes, but how do you find the negative intersection?

You approximate. And if you're in a higher college math class, you find it in terms of the Lambert W function. Either way, you can't express the root of x2=2x, x<0 explicitly in terms of elementary functions.

1. What is an inequality with an exponent?

An inequality with an exponent is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using an exponent. An exponent is a number that represents how many times a base number is multiplied by itself. Inequalities with exponents involve comparing the value of an expression with an exponent to another expression with an exponent.

2. How do I solve an inequality with an exponent?

To solve an inequality with an exponent, you will first need to isolate the variable with the exponent on one side of the inequality sign. Then, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the expression. Finally, you can solve for the variable by using inverse operations.

3. What are the rules of exponents?

The rules of exponents are a set of mathematical rules that govern how exponents can be manipulated. These rules include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and zero and negative exponent rules. These rules can be used to simplify expressions with exponents and solve inequalities with exponents.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an inequality with an exponent?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an inequality with an exponent. Most scientific calculators have a button for exponents, and some even have a button specifically for inequalities. However, it is important to understand the steps and rules involved in solving an inequality with an exponent in order to use a calculator effectively.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving an inequality with an exponent?

Some common mistakes when solving an inequality with an exponent include forgetting to apply the rules of exponents, not isolating the variable with the exponent, and using incorrect inverse operations. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the inequality sign and to be careful with negative exponents.