1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve this quadratic equation

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    3x2-8x-1=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So here i attempt to solve the equation...usually the way i go about this is

you multiply 3 by -1

you get -3

then i ask myself what multiplies to -3 and adds to -8.....after that i am able to solve it...but for some reason i havent been able to come up with a combination of numbers that answer that question and i am stuck...if anyone can tell me what those combination of numbers are...or better yet can solve it for me so i can see how it was done, would be greatly appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are three ways to solve quadratic equations - four if you count guessing, which is almost never a viable approach, and isn't viable for this problem. The three ways are:
    1. Factoring the equation
    2. Using the Quadratic Formula
    3. Completing the square (which is what the Quadratic Formula does for you)

Surely at least one of these techniques has been presented in your class.

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just use the standard formula for the solution of a quadratic equation. If you don't know it, look in your textbook or search on-line for "quadratic equation".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook