Why Am I Getting Incorrect Solutions for My Quadratic Equation?

• Thread starter 1/2"
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving solving a quadratic equation and a separate problem involving calculating the thickness of a hollow cylinder made from a solid sphere of copper. The person is having difficulty with the quadratic equation and is seeking help to identify any mistakes in their calculations.
1/2"
While solving an problem , i came to this quadratic
x2- 8x +4 =0
I couldn't break up 8x so i to solve it like this,
x= {-(-8)+√(8 2+ 4x1x4)}/2x1,{-(-8)-√(8 2+ 4x1x4)}/2x1
but the answers are coming way too absurd and negative.

The actual problem is:
"A hollow right cylinder of uniform thickness is made from the material obtained by melting a solid sphere of copper.If the diameter of the sphere is 12 cm,the height of the cylinder is 72 cm and the external radius of the base of the cylinder is 4 cm then find the thickness of the cylinder to two decimal places. "
And answer according to the book is 0.54 cm( which i am not getting !)

My doing any mistake in calculating or in the formulas?
Please help .I would be extremely grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a silly little arithmetic mistake. The quadratic formula is
[tex]
x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}
[/tex]

You have pluses inside the radical in both cases.

Yes , i did that .
So what's wrong?

You were already told - you have plus inside the radical. Formula calls for minus.

Like I said, you have [tex] \sqrt{b^2 + 4ac} [/tex] instead of [tex] \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac} [/tex].

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of polynomial equation and can be solved using various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

The most common way to solve a quadratic equation is by using the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also solve it by factoring or completing the square. It is important to note that not all quadratic equations can be solved, as some may have imaginary solutions.

3. What is the purpose of solving a quadratic equation?

Solving a quadratic equation helps us find the values of the variable x that make the equation true. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where quadratic equations are commonly used to model real-life situations.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have up to two solutions, which are also known as roots or solutions. However, it is possible for a quadratic equation to have only one solution or no real solutions at all, depending on the values of the constants a, b, and c.

5. How can I check if my solution to a quadratic equation is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by plugging in the values of x into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use the discriminant, which is b^2 - 4ac, and if it is equal to 0, then the quadratic equation has only one solution, and if it is greater than 0, then there are two distinct solutions.