1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve this simple equation

1. Apr 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

##z^4-6z^2+1=0##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##z^{2}=\frac{6\pm \sqrt{36-4}}{2}=3\pm 2\sqrt{2}##. Now this has to be wrong already yet I don't know why..

Wolfram gives me some solutions ##1+\sqrt{2}##, ##1-\sqrt{2}##, ##-1+\sqrt{2}##, ##-1-\sqrt{2}##...

Now how can I find them without wolfram alpha?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it's fine. Note that you have solved for ##z^2##, not ##z##. If the goal is to solve for ##z##, you need to do some more work. Start with one of your solutions, say ##z^2 = 3 + 2 \sqrt{2}##. There are two values of ##z## that satisfy this equation, namely ##z = \pm \sqrt{3 + 2 \sqrt{2}}##. Note that this expression can be simplified. Indeed, ##(1 + \sqrt{2})^2 = 3 + 2 \sqrt{2}##, so ##\sqrt{3 + 2 \sqrt{2}} = 1 + \sqrt{2}## is one solution. See if you can find the other solutions. There should be four since the original polynomial ##z^4 -6z^2 + 1## has degree 4.

4. Apr 10, 2014 #3
    See, I couldn't see that. Now It is obvious. Thanks!

5. Apr 10, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your original question asked how to get the roots without Wolfram. Once you know that you have $$
    z=\pm\sqrt{3+2\sqrt 2}$$it is easy enough to verify that ##z=1+2\sqrt 2## works, but it's another thing to find that form in the first place. You might find it instructive to set$$
    (a+b\sqrt 2)^2 = 3+2\sqrt 2$$square both sides, and solve for ##a## and ##b##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted