Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve this system of equations

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    0a - 2b + 3c = 1
    3a + 6b - 3c = -2
    6a + 6b + 3c = 5

I got a = 3, b = 3/2, c = -4/3 but the book says that this system is inconsistent. It asks us to use Gauss-Jordan elimination (which I have used on the past 5 or so problems and got all the right answers). I know how to do these, I just don't see where my mistake is. I am probably looking over some very simplistic reason why it is inconsistent... Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2
    The numbers you have found are not the solutions of this system , because they don't give correct results, if put in any of the equations of the system. And a solution of any system must give correct results for all the equations, so if you find a solution (a,b,c) this must be a solution for all the equations.
    In your problem you can multiply the second equation with -2 and then add it with the third one(Gauss method). Your system ends up like this:
    | 0a-2b+3c=1 | 0a-2b+3c=1
    | -6a-12b+6c=4 <=>| -6a-12b+6c=4
    | 6a+6b+3c=5 | -6b+9c=9

the last equation can be written like this: -2b+3c=3
    So if you add the first one and the {[-2b+3c=3] multiplied with -1} you get 0=-2
    This last one is actually this equation : 0a+0b+0c=-2. So the initial system has the same solutions as this system:
    0a+0b+0c=-2
    -6a-12b+6c=4
    -6b+9c=9

obviously this system is inconsistent, so the initial one is also inconsistent as they are equivalent

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  4. Feb 13, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For us to see your mistake you would have to show us your arithemtic. How many times have you repeated the calculations?

5. Feb 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know why you struggled so much,the determinant of the coefficients is zero,therefore,no unique solution.

Daniel.

6. Feb 13, 2005 #5
    The detrminant of the coefficient matrix is equal to zero. Since the matrix is singular, the system is inconsistent.

7. Feb 13, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not always.

8. Feb 13, 2005 #7
    lol thanks guys but I don't know what a determinant is yet (that's chapter 2). I have tried it twice, and have gotten the same result both times...

EDIT: Thanks for your help guys, but on my 4th attempt, I found it to be inconsistent. I don't know what I did wrong the other way because I did it a different way this time. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  9. Feb 14, 2005 #8
    It's amazing how simple a problem can be the 4th time around.

If I had a dollar for every simple error like that I've made...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?