How to Prove the Linearity of the Trace Function in Matrix Algebra

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the function tr(c) and how it can be used to deduce other equations, such as tr(a+b)= tr(a)+tr(b) and tr(ka)=ktr(a). The conversation also explores the use of the associative property of addition and the linearity of sums to prove the linearity of the function. There is a question about how to demonstrate this in a specific case.
Saladsamurai
I am not sure if this the correct forum, but

Problem: if the tr(c) is defined as [tex]tr(c)=\sum^{n}_{i=1}c_{ii}[/tex]

Than deduce that tr(a+b)= tr(a)+tr(b) and that tr(ka)=ktr(a).

Attempt at the solution: For tr(a+b)=tr(a)+tr(b) I have somerthing to the effect of ,

[tex]tr(a+b)=\sum^{n}_{i=1}a_{ii}+b_{ii}=a_{11}+a_{22}+...a_{nn}+b_{11}+b_{22}+...b_{nn}[/tex]

I do not know if this is the simplest approach, but I know that now I have to employ the associative property of addition, but I am not so sure how to bring this in quantitatively..or that just it...am I done?

The tr(ka) should be easier after I get the first one.

Any thoughts?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\displaystyle tr(a+b)=\sum_{i=1}^n(a_{ii}+b_{ii})=\sum_{i=1}^na_{ii}+\sum_{i=1}^nb_{ii}=tr(a)+tr(b)[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle tr(ka)=\sum_{i=1}^nka_{ii}=k\sum_{i=1}^na_{ii}=ktr(a)[/tex]

The function is defined as a sum. Sums are linear. Therefore, the function is linear. QED.

Nesk said:
The function is defined as a sum. Sums are linear. Therefore, the function is linear. QED.

Yes, but the problem is, I suspect to demonstrate it in this case.

What is the meaning of "Solve Tr(a+b)=tr(a)+tr(b)"?

The equation "Solve Tr(a+b)=tr(a)+tr(b)" is asking for the solution to the trace of the sum of two matrices being equal to the sum of the traces of each individual matrix.

What is the significance of solving Tr(a+b)=tr(a)+tr(b)?

Solving this equation can help in simplifying matrix operations and finding relationships between matrices.

What are the properties of the trace function?

The trace function is linear, meaning it follows the rules of addition and scalar multiplication. It is also invariant under similarity transformations, meaning the trace of a matrix is the same as the trace of its similar matrices.

Can this equation be solved for any type of matrices?

Yes, this equation can be solved for any type of square matrices. However, it may not always have a unique solution.

How can I solve Tr(a+b)=tr(a)+tr(b)?

To solve this equation, you can use the properties of the trace function and algebraic operations to simplify the equation and solve for the matrices. You may also use techniques such as diagonalization or finding the eigenvalues to solve the equation. It is also helpful to understand the properties and relationships of the matrices involved.