How can x=tan(x)cosh2(x) be solved using trigonometry?

• Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for solving the equation x=tanh(x)cosh2(x), which has infinite solutions including x=0 and x=3.36922, 6.3062, 9.4263, 12.5665, 15.708. The equation can also be written as x= ½sinh(x) and can be solved by finding the positive root of a quadratic equation. However, for more complex equations like x8/9! + x6/7! + x4/5! + x3/3! - 1 =0, numerical techniques such as iteration or Newton's method must be used.
ognik
Anyone know a way to calculate x=tan(x)cosh2(x) ? I think I should know - but just blank at the moment.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you want the numbers for which the equation holds, I think you may want (and have) to do it by plotting, or using some numeric method.

It has infinite solutions, the first one has be zero since you have [itex]\tan(0)=0[/itex], some solutions are
x = 3.36922, 6.3062, 9.4263, 12.5665, 15.708

I suspected that, did you use a graphing tool of some sort to fund these values? (If so, what ...). Thanks

Terribly sorry, I had a typo - hyperbolic tan, it should be x=tanh(x)cosh2(x) [or x = 1/2 cosh(2x) ]

[itex]\tanh(x)[/itex] goes from zero to one, [itex]\cosh^2(x)[/itex] blows up to infinity, the only solution is x=0.

Also, [itex]\tanh(x)\cosh^2(x) = \frac{1}{2}\sinh(x) [/itex] and [itex] x = \frac{1}{2}\cosh(x) [/itex] has no solution

Sorry, yes, I want to solve x= ½sinh(x). IE 2x = x + x3/3! + x5/5!. Dividing by x gives 2 = 1 + x2/6 + v4/120 + ...
Letting u = x2, I have a quadratic of u2 + 20u - 120 = 0 and the positive root of this is 4.8324, giving x=2.2098 ?

ognik said:
Sorry, yes, I want to solve x= ½sinh(x). IE 2x = x + x3/3! + x5/5!. Dividing by x gives 2 = 1 + x2/6 + v4/120 + ...
Letting u = x2, I have a quadratic of u2 + 20u - 120 = 0 and the positive root of this is 4.8324, giving x=2.2098 ?
Not quite. When you truncated the infinite series, you lost some accuracy.

BTW, you can check these calculations yourself, either with a calculator or online, at say Wolfram Alpha.

As already said, that's an approximation since you are not using the whole series. A more precise result using Mathematica is 2.1773189849653067526.
By the way, I made a typo, I meant [itex]\frac{1}{2}\sinh(2x)[/itex] which solution is x=0

I confess I dropped the x7 and subsequent terms because I don't know how to solve the more complex equation that would result :-( So if I had (say) x8/9! + x6/7! + x4/5! + x3/3! - 1 =0, how would I approach solving that equation without using something like mathematica?

ognik said:
I confess I dropped the x7 and subsequent terms because I don't know how to solve the more complex equation that would result :-( So if I had (say) x8/9! + x6/7! + x4/5! + x3/3! - 1 =0, how would I approach solving that equation without using something like mathematica?
In general, there is no formula for solving polynomial equations of degree 5 and greater. Unless you stumble on some fortuitous factorization, you're basically left with numerical techniques, like iteration or applying Newton's method. Applying things like the Rational Root Theorem and Descartes Rule of Signs may indicate how many real roots exist and which trial values to try, but it's basically trial and error.

Thanks, that's all been very clear and helpful.

1. What is a trigonometric multiplication equation?

A trigonometric multiplication equation is an equation that involves two or more trigonometric functions being multiplied together, such as sine, cosine, tangent, or their inverse functions.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric multiplication equation?

To solve a trigonometric multiplication equation, you may need to use trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulation, and the unit circle. You may also need to use special angles and reference triangles to simplify the equation.

3. What are the steps to solving a trigonometric multiplication equation?

The steps to solving a trigonometric multiplication equation are as follows:
1. Simplify the equation using trigonometric identities.
2. Use algebraic manipulation to isolate the unknown variable.
3. Use the unit circle or special angles to find the exact value of the trigonometric functions.
4. Check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving trigonometric multiplication equations?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric multiplication equations include:
- Forgetting to use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation.
- Misinterpreting the unit circle or special angles.
- Forgetting to check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation.
- Incorrectly applying algebraic rules, such as distributing or combining like terms.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric multiplication equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a trigonometric multiplication equation. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind the solution rather than solely relying on a calculator. Additionally, make sure to use the correct mode (degrees or radians) on your calculator for the given problem.