1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve u = 2x - 3y & v = -x + y in terms of u & v, then find Jacobian.

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    Solve u = 2x - 3y & v = -x + y in terms of x & y, then find Jacobian.

Here is the problem:

Solve the system [tex]u = 2x\;-\;3y,\;\;v = -x\;+\;y[/tex] for x and y in terms of u and v. Then find the Jacobian [tex]\frac{\partial\left(x,\;y\right)}{\partial\left(u,\;v\right)}[/tex].

Find the image under the trasformation [tex]u = 2x\;-\;3y,\;\;v = -x\;+\;y[/tex] of the parallelogram [tex]R[/tex] in the xy-plane with boundries [tex]x = -3,\;\;x = 0,\;\;y = x\;and\;y = x\;+\;1[/tex]

Here is what I have:

[tex]y = -u\;-\;2v\;and\;x = -u\;-\;3v[/tex] I am not sure of these answers.

Assuming those are correct, I get the Jacobian to be [tex]-2[/tex]. This is where I am stuck, how do I do the second part? I can get the [tex]v-values[/tex] to be [tex]0\;and\;1[/tex] here,

[tex]y = x\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;y = x\;+\;1[/tex]
    [tex]-2v\;-\;u = -3v\;-\;u\;\;\;\;\;-2v\;-\;u = -3v\;-\;u\;+\;1[/tex]
    [tex]v = 0\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;v = 1[/tex]

But when I try and do the last part for the u values, I get [tex]u = u\;+\;3[/tex], which is impossible becaus then [tex]0 = 3[/tex].

Please help!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    Did anyone check these?

Please, this is the last problem and probably the toughest. Thank you all in advance. :surprised

4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you solved correctly for x and y, but the Jacobian is NOT -2. How did you get that?

"Find the image under the trasformation of the parallelogram in the xy-plane with boundries [tex]x = -3,\;\;x = 0,\;\;y = x\;and\;y = x\;+\;1[/tex]."

The boundaries do NOT neccessarily convert to "u= constant" or "v= constant".

The line x= -3, y anything, converts to u= 2(-3)-3y, v= -(-3)+ y= 3+ y so y= v- 3.
    Then u= -6- 3(v- 3)= -6- 3v+ 9= -3v+ 3. One boundary is u= -3v+ 3.

The line x= 0 converts to u= 2(0)- 3y, v= -(0)+ y so y= v. Then u= -3(v).
    Another boundary is u= -3v. (Which is, of course, parallel to the previous line.)

The line y= x converts to u= 2x- 3(x)= -x, v= -x+ (x)= 0. One boundary is v= 0.
    (Since x can be anything, u can be anything.)

The line y= x+1 converts to u= 2x-3(x+1)= 2x-3x- 3= -x- 3, v= -x+ (x+1)= 1.
    The last boundary is v= 1 (since x can be anything, u can be anything). That line is, of course, parallel to v= 0.

5. Apr 14, 2005 #4
    How I got the Jacobian

I used

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}\;\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\;-\;\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}\;\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}[/tex]

with the earlier equations solved for [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] and got

[tex](-1)(-1) - (-1)(-3) = 1 - 3 = -2[/tex]

What do I do now? put the limits into an integral with what as the integrand? Rectangular, cylindrical of spherical?

6. Apr 14, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]y = -u\;-\;2v\;and\;x = -u\;-\;3v[/tex]
    so [tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}= -2[/tex], not -1!

I don't know! What does the problem ask? Your original post just said "solve for x, y, find the Jacobian, find what a parallelogram would be in the "u,v" coordinate system". You didn't say anything about an integral!

I presume you are to do whatever integral you are given in uv- coordinates- that's not any of those!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?