1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve y'' + 4y = g(t); y(0) = 2, y'(0) = 2 using Laplace transforms, g(t) is given

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the differential equation y'' + 4y = g(t); y(0) = 2, y'(0) = 2 using Laplace transforms.

The g(t) function is a piecewise function and is attached as g.jpg.

2. Relevant equations
    Laplace transforms of regular and unit step/Heaviside functions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My work is attached as MyWork.jpg. I suspect the part with the e to be the culprit but I'm not specifically sure as to what I did wrong and would appreciate it if someone could point it out to me.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• g.jpg
      g.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
    • MyWork.jpg
      MyWork.jpg
      File size:
      103.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Solve y'' + 4y = g(t); y(0) = 2, y'(0) = 2 using Laplace transforms, g(t) is give

I didn't check all your steps, but it looks to me you haven't taken into account the f(t) = t part. Your formula for that is$$
    f(t) = t(1-u(8\pi))+8\pi u(t-8\pi)$$

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3

s3a

Re: Solve y'' + 4y = g(t); y(0) = 2, y'(0) = 2 using Laplace transforms, g(t) is give

What does u(8π) mean?

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you just use the definition, rather than applying formulas that can be misused (as you did)? For [itex]g(t) = \min(t,8 \pi)[/itex] we have
    [tex] L[g](s) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st} g(t) \, dt = \int_0^{8 \pi} e^{-st} t \, dt
    + \int_{8 \pi}^\infty e^{-st} 8 \pi \, dt, [/tex] and just do both integrals.

RGV

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. Mar 23, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, that was a typo; that expression should be ##u(t-8\pi)## but the time for me to edit and correct it has expired.

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6

u(t-8∏) is a unit step function. You can think of it as energy going into your system after 8∏ time has elapsed. The function is 0 <= 8∏ and 1 after 8∏.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook