Solve y''+9y=delta(t-pi)

Solve the differential equation

y''+9y=delta(t-pi)

that fulfills the initial condition y(0)=y(0)=1. Answer by giving the value for y((14*pi)/9). The answer can be given by a fraction a/b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I will submit my attempt for a solution as an attachment shortly.

Answers and Replies

I am now at the stage where I need to get the inverse transforms but I don't remember how...

Attachments

• mathproblemxx.jpg
    mathproblemxx.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 493
I can't figure out how to get the inverse transforms...any ideas?

Defennder
Homework Helper
There is a mistake on the 3rd line. [tex]sY(0)[/tex] is not 1. It's just s. Also [tex]s^2 + 9 [/tex] is not [tex](s+3)^2[/tex].

Defennder thanks for pointing that out. So now I have the following:

Attachments

• mathprob.jpg
    mathprob.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 474
I just don't understand how these three fractions can give me y at the end. Is the approach of inverse transform incorrect? Cause, just by looking at s/(s^2+9) I can transform that to cos(3t) but what do I do with the rest. How can these three "add up" to give me the fraction a/b?

Last edited:
Defennder
Homework Helper
Your attachment hasn't been approved yet. Try hosting it on imageshack.us and linking the picture. That way you won't have to wait for approval from the mentors.

Defennder
Homework Helper
So far so good. I got the same answer. To inverse-Laplace transform the RHS into a function of t again, you'll need the laplace transform of:

[tex]L[\cos (\omega t)][/tex]
[tex]L[\sin (\omega t)][/tex]
[tex]L[f(t-a)u(t-a)][/tex] where u(t-a) is the unit step function or Heaviside function. Look this up and inverse-transform them individually.

The Laplace Transform of cos(at) is s/(s^2+a^2)
The Laplace Transform of sin(at) is a/(s^2+a^2)
and Laplace Transform of f(t-a)u(t-a) is exp(-Ts)F(s)

Now I will try to inverse-transform them individually.

Defennder
Homework Helper
The Laplace Transform of cos(at) is s/(s^2+a^2)
The Laplace Transform of sin(at) is a/(s^2+a^2)
and Laplace Transform of f(t-a)u(t-a) is exp(-Ts)F(s)

Now I will try to inverse-transform them individually.
All ok except this one. Probably a typo.

Oh yeah and Laplace Transform of f(t-a)u(t-a) is exp(-a*s)F(s)
is that correct now?

Defennder
Homework Helper
Yeah, it is. You should be able to solve for y now.

I have the following...

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4016/mathprob1na5.jpg" [Broken]

But I'm not sure about that Heaviside function term. I really don't know what to do with (s^2+9) in denominator? Isn't there a jump (discontinuity in Heaviside functions)? I have not y yet. If I add these three is that how I get y? What do I have to do about that F(s) that popped up? And do I just plug in t=((14*pi)/9) at the end when I get y? I am thankful for any suggestions...

Last edited by a moderator:
After some thinking about the Heaviside term I came to the conclusion that the last term in the attachment above should have an inverse Laplace transform of: u(t)f(t-pi)*(1/3)*sin(3t)

If this is correct (please object if it is not) as I add all three terms I should get:

y(t)=u(t)f(t-pi)*(1/3)*sin(3t)+(1/3)*sin(3t)+cos(3t)

According to my understanding I should now plug in t=((14*pi)/9) into y(t) as shown above:

y(t=((14*pi)/9))=u((14*pi)/9))f((14*pi)/9)-pi)*(1/3)*sin(3*(14*pi)/9))+(1/3)*sin(3*(14*pi)/9))+cos(3*(14*pi)/9))

Defennder
Homework Helper
After some thinking about the Heaviside term I came to the conclusion that the last term in the attachment above should have an inverse Laplace transform of: u(t)f(t-pi)*(1/3)*sin(3t)
This isn't right. Remember that both the Heaviside function and the function f(t) is shifted by -a. So u(t) is not it. f(t) here, which I take to be 1/3sin(3t) is also not shifted correctly.

This isn't right. Remember that both the Heaviside function and the function f(t) is shifted by -a. So u(t) is not it. f(t) here, which I take to be 1/3sin(3t) is also not shifted correctly.

I see...is this what you mean?

u(t-a)f(t-a)*(1/3)*sin(3t-a) Is the a-value for the shift pi?

If this is true, will this be the expression for y:

y=u(t-pi)f(t-pi)1/3sin(3t-pi)+1/3sin(3t)+cos(3t)

How will I evaluate the first term in the expression above numerically?

Last edited:
I plugged in t=((14*pi)/9) into cos(3t) & 1/3sin(3t)...

cos(3t)=-0.5
1/3sin(3t)=-0.32827

I still don't know what to to about the heaviside-term. How can I evaluate that numerically? And how do I get a fraction a/b from all this? Any ideas or suggestions?

Can't anyone shed more light on this problem?

Defennder
Homework Helper
aeroguy2008 said:
u(t-a)f(t-a)*(1/3)*sin(3t-a)
That's not the inverse transform of [itex]\frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s^2+9}[/itex]. Remember that f(t-a) is not some unknown function; it's just the inverse Laplace transform of [tex]\frac{1}{s^2+9}[/tex], which is shifted by -a. What this means is that in place of t in the original inverse transform of [tex]\frac{1}{s^2+9}[/tex] you now must write [itex]t-a[/itex]. And after that is done, write u(t-a) next as a term multiplied to it.

As for the meaning of the Heaviside function u(t-a), note that all it does is ensure that the graph of f(t)u(t-a) would be 0 for t<a. For t>a, the graph would simply be f(t-a). You can treat u(t-a)f(t) as a shorthand for writing:

[tex]f(t)u(t-a) = \begin{array}{c}0 \ \mbox{for} \ t<a\\f(t) \ \mbox{for} \ t>a \end{array}[/tex]

That's not the inverse transform of [itex]\frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s^2+9}[/itex]. Remember that f(t-a) is not some unknown function; it's just the inverse Laplace transform of [tex]\frac{1}{s^2+9}[/tex], which is shifted by -a. What this means is that in place of t in the original inverse transform of [tex]\frac{1}{s^2+9}[/tex] you now must write [itex]t-a[/itex]. And after that is done, write u(t-a) next as a term multiplied to it.

As for the meaning of the Heaviside function u(t-a), note that all it does is ensure that the graph of f(t)u(t-a) would be 0 for t<a. For t>a, the graph would simply be f(t-a). You can treat u(t-a)f(t) as a shorthand for writing:

[tex]f(t)u(t-a) = \begin{array}{c}0 \ \mbox{for} \ t<a\\f(t) \ \mbox{for} \ t>a \end{array}[/tex]

Ok I have read your message 20 times now...and I'm still confused. I follow until the fact that f(t-a) is the inverse Laplace transform of 1/(s^2+9) shifted by -a. So then f(t-a)=1/3sin(3(t-a))u(t-a)? Is a=pi? How do I get the fraction a/b out of all this? I'm gonna plug in some numerics and see what I end up in my next post. Sorry you must think this is really easy but I am a little lost.

Last edited:
Defennder
Homework Helper
So then f(t-a)=1/3sin(3(t-a))u(t-a)? Is a=pi? How do I get the fraction a/b out of all this?
Almost correct. f(t-a)u(t-a) is 1/3sin(3(t-a))u(t-a) which is in turn the inverse Laplace transform of [tex]\frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s^2+9}[/tex]. Now combine all the three inverses into y(t) and find y(14pi/9). Remember how u(t-a)f(t) is supposed to be interpreted. Your final answer should be a fraction of integers.

So then my u(t-a)f(t) is equal to f(t) as Pi is smaller than (14*Pi)/9. Now I will only have:

t=((14*pi)/9)=4.886921906 into cos(3t) & 1/3sin(3t)...
cos(3t)=-0.5
1/3sin(3t)=-0.32827
f(t-a)=1.745329

y=1.745329-0.5-0.32827=0.917059 Is this correct?

Defennder
Homework Helper
For one thing you shouldn't use a decimal approximation to 14pi/9, because that would not allow you to express your answer in terms of a fraction. You have
[tex]y(t) = \frac{1}{3}\sin (3t) + \cos (3t) + \frac{1}{3}u(t-\pi)\sin(3t-3\pi)[/tex]
which can be simplified by simplifying sin(3t-pi):
[tex]y(t) = \frac{1}{3}\sin (3t)(1-u(t-\pi)) + \cos (3t) [/tex]

Now you're told to substitute t=14pi/9. So what happens to u(t-pi) and the corresponding expression? You don't need a calculator for this one. Just a trigo table will do.

For one thing you shouldn't use a decimal approximation to 14pi/9, because that would not allow you to express your answer in terms of a fraction. You have
[tex]y(t) = \frac{1}{3}\sin (3t) + \cos (3t) + \frac{1}{3}u(t-\pi)\sin(3t-3\pi)[/tex]
which can be simplified by simplifying sin(3t-pi):
[tex]y(t) = \frac{1}{3}\sin (3t)(1-u(t-\pi)) + \cos (3t) [/tex]

Now you're told to substitute t=14pi/9. So what happens to u(t-pi) and the corresponding expression? You don't need a calculator for this one. Just a trigo table will do.

Thanks for all the help. I would say u(t-pi) goes to zero? So I will be left with
y=1/3sin(t)+cos(3t) ... I cant get an exact fraction I get this to 1.05...how do you get exact fractions?