1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve z^3 = -i

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First off convert to z=(-i)1/3.
    Here is where I am stuck, how do I convert the above to this form: e? I am mainly stuck because I don't know how to solve for theta.

I know that θ = arctan(y/x) where y is the coefficient in front of i and x is the real value but in this case there is no x... So you would be dividing by zero which doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2
    The "trick" is to write [itex](-i)^{1/3}[/itex] in the form [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex] where you must figure out what [itex]r,\theta[/itex] are (this part should be very easy.)

Now you are trying to compute [itex](re^{i\theta})^{1/3} = r^{1/3}(e^{i\theta})^{1/3}[/itex]. Do you see how to do this? Now, there is actually going to be three different solutions, do you see this? Do you see what they are?

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    Alternatively, you can rewrite [itex]z=(-i)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] as [itex] z=e^{log((-i)^\frac{1}{3})}[/itex] and use properties of complex logs to arrive at the correct answer.

5. Apr 6, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Think about where the point z=-i lies in the complex plane. Forget using the formula. What are the polar coordinates of that point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook