Modelling Vehicle Deceleration in Simulink: Adding Drag Force Considerations

• Thread starter Davieslad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation is about modeling the deceleration of a vehicle in Simulink. The model includes the use of wheel brakes and a parachute, and the goal is to account for the velocity dependent drag force from the parachute and the vehicle itself. The relevant equation for this is Fd=0.5CdpAu^2, where Cd is the drag coefficient, p is the density, A is the frontal area, and u is the velocity. The person has already constructed a model for the constant force of the brakes and is now trying to add the variable drag force using a specific block in Simulink. They later figure out how to do it and no further assistance is needed.
Davieslad

Homework Statement

right, I am modelling the deceleration of a vehicle in simulink

the vehicle uses wheel brakes, and a parachute to decellerate from Vmax to zero

I have constructed a model which models the constant force of the brakes to decelerate the vehicle to stop

I need to amend the model, so that the velocity dependant drag force produced by the parachute, and the drag of the vehicle itself are taken into account.

I am ignoring any turbulence produced

Homework Equations

Fd=0.5CdpAu^2

where
Cd is the drag coefficient of the parachute or car
p is the density
A is the frontal area of the parachute or car
u is the velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

so far as said above, i have the deceleration from the wheel brakes, shown here:
wheelspic.jpg

what type of block do i need to use to add the variable drag force to this system?

Many Thanks
Ed

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, please ignore this - i figured out how to do it...

I would suggest using a "Force" block in Simulink to add the variable drag force to the system. This block allows you to input a mathematical function, in this case the equation for drag force, and apply it to the overall system. You can also specify the variables to be used in the equation, such as the drag coefficient, density, frontal area, and velocity. By incorporating this block into your model, you will be able to accurately simulate the deceleration of the vehicle taking into account the drag force from the parachute and the vehicle itself. Additionally, you may want to consider adding a "Scope" block to your model to visualize and analyze the effects of the drag force on the deceleration of the vehicle.

1. What is MATLAB and what is it used for?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment used for numerical computation, data analysis, and visualization. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, mathematics, and science for tasks such as data analysis, simulation, and algorithm development.

2. How do I get started with MATLAB?

To get started with MATLAB, you can download the software from the official website or use the online version, MATLAB Online. You will need to create an account and have a license or trial to access the software. Once you have it installed, you can start learning the basics of the language through tutorials and examples provided by MathWorks, the company behind MATLAB.

3. What are some essential MATLAB functions I should know?

Some essential MATLAB functions include basic arithmetic operations (+, -, *, /), matrix operations (transpose, inverse, multiplication), plotting functions (plot, scatter, histogram), and data analysis functions (mean, median, standard deviation). It is also important to know how to use loops, conditional statements, and functions in MATLAB to create more complex programs.

4. How do I debug my code in MATLAB?

To debug your code in MATLAB, you can use the built-in debugging tools such as breakpoints, step-through execution, and variable inspection. This allows you to pause your code at specific points and check the values of variables to identify and fix any errors. You can also use the "diary" function to record the output of your code and help with troubleshooting.

5. Can I use MATLAB for machine learning and artificial intelligence?

Yes, MATLAB has a powerful set of tools and functions for machine learning and artificial intelligence. It offers built-in functions for tasks such as data preprocessing, feature selection, and model training and evaluation. It also has toolboxes specifically designed for machine learning and deep learning, making it a popular choice for researchers and professionals in this field.