1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Solved]Another second order DE

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must solve [itex]x^2y''-2y=x[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure. Reduction of order maybe.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I notice that [itex]y_1=x^2[/itex] is solution to the homogeneous DE [itex]x^2y''-2y=0[/itex].
    I propose another solution of the form [itex]y_2(x)=v(x)y_1(x)[/itex].
    Plugging this y_2 and its second derivative into the original DE, I reach that [itex]v''x^4+4x^3v'=x[/itex].
    I called a new variable [itex]u=v'[/itex] to reduce the order of the DE. So the DE reduces to [itex]u'x^4+4x^3u=x[/itex].
    I then used the integrating factor method to solve the DE. As integrating factor, I reached [itex]e^{x^4}[/itex]. So that [itex]u(x)=\frac{1}{e^{x^4}} \left [ \int{xe^{x^4}dx+C_1} \right ][/itex]. I tried to evaluate this integral via Wolfram Alpha and it returned the imaginary erf function so I prefer to let it under this form.
    So now my [itex]v(x)=\int u(x)dx+C_2[/itex] which looks extremely "ugly".

I just tried to solve the original DE into Wolfram and it gives the solution [itex]y(x)=c_1x^2+\frac{c_2}{x}-\frac{x}{2}[/itex]. I really don't know what I did wrong. (In http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/ReductionofOrder.aspx it seems that the original DE must be homogeneous in order to apply the reduction of order method; however it seems I could do the same even though the DE isn't homogeneous. Could you clarify if I'm right on this?)
    Did I do something wrong? How could I reach a "beautiful" result such the one given by Wolfram Alpha?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out my error. I reach exactly the same answer as Wolfram Alpha. It was when I applied the integrating factor method, I forgot to divide the DE by x⁴ before doing the math. Nice!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?