1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Solved] Calculating gravitational potential energy

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    Hi guys. I have this homework question that I've been working on and I cannot even figure out where to start. Here goes:

A 1.80-g particle is released from rest at point A on the inside of a smooth hemispherical bowl of radius R = 25.0 cm (figure below).
    [​IMG]

Calculate the following:

(a) Its gravitational potential energy at A relative to B.

(b) Its kinetic energy at B.

(c) Its speed at B.

(d) Its potential energy at C relative to B.

(e) Its kinetic energy at C.

So far, I've only been able to calculate (d). I know what I have to do to calculate (a), and I know that (a) and (b) are equal since the bowl is smooth and frictionless.

Here's my problem with (a). I know that PEg=mgy, but I can't figure out how to calculate y. I know it must be something blatantly obvious, but I've been doing physics all day now and I can't even think straight anymore.
    I don't need answers; I just need some help figuring out how to get y in (a).

Thanks

EDIT
    I just figured out a through d
    Mods please delete thread. I got it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted