1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Solved] Force Diagrams Question

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rifle weighs 50.0 N, and its barrel is 0.750 m long. It shoots a 25.0 g bullet, which leaves the barrel at a speed (muzzle velocity) of 320 m/s after being uniformly accelerated. What is the magnitude of the force exerted on the rifle by the bullet?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wasn't totally sure of what I was doing, but this is what I did:
    I used the equation: v2=v02+2ax and did-- 3202=0+2(a)(.750) and I got 68266.67 m/s2. I dont know if I did this right, or if I even used the right equation.

Then I used the F=MA equation. F=.25(68266.67) to get 17067 N, but when I typed in that answer to Webassign, it was wrong.

Any help would be greatly apprecitated. Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Re: Force Diagrams Question

Check your units on what I bolded in your post. It's good to write out the units of each quantity in your equations, to make sure you don't make mixed-units errors like this. I've found that habit of carrying along units in my calculations to be a huge help.

Welcome to the PF!
  4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    Re: Force Diagrams Question

That worked! Thank you so much! You are amazing! =]
    I generally get the concepts, but then I make silly little mistakes like that and I can't find where I went wrong.

And thanks for the welcoming!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?