Gravitational redshift with time dilation?

In summary: In this case, the observer on the ground is not considered to be rotating with the Earth. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of time dilation due to gravity at a satellite 50,000km above the Earth's surface traveling at 10,000km/h relative to a stationary observer on Earth. The formula for time dilation is derived and it is suggested to do the calculation twice, once for the ground observer and once for the satellite. The formula takes into account the gravitational potential, velocity, and speed of light. The observer on the ground is not considered to be rotating with the Earth.
EdisT
Hello, thanks for reading this. I need help trying to find a way to calculate the time dilation due to gravity, from a satellite 50,000km above the surface of the Earth, traveling 10,000km/h relative to a stationary observer on Earth.

A signal is being sent from the satellite to the observer, the frequency of the signal is 1.7 gigahertz (1.7E9 Hz).. Now i calculated the change in frequency due to gravitational blueshift through the conservation of energy formula, but i don't know how to continue from there and turn the change in frequency to time dilation.

Any help is much appreciated! I would love to see the step by step calculations if you do decide to help, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
So for the ground observer it would be:
√(1-((2GMhf/c*r)/c^2) - 10000^2/2997924582^2

where m = hf/c

Last edited:
U=GM/r. m never enters into it.

Likes EdisT
Ah my bad, but if the rest is correct then I would like to thank you very much!

DaleSpam said:
U=GM/r. m never enters into it.
one of the observers is relatively stationary, does that mean that for one of the calculations, v=0?

EdisT said:
one of the observers is relatively stationary, does that mean that for one of the calculations, v=0?

DaleSpam said:
Yes.

Actually, an observer who is "stationary" on Earth is not motionless for purposes of this calculation, because the Earth is rotating, and the formula DaleSpam gave is relative to a frame which is not rotating with the Earth. So the correct ##v## for the ground observer is his velocity due to the Earth's rotation (about 450 meters per second if he's on the equator, it gets smaller towards the poles and is zero at the poles).

EdisT said:
for the ground observer it would be:
√(1-((2GMhf/c*r)/c^2) - 10000^2/2997924582^2

As DaleSpam said, ##U = GM / r##, the other factors shouldn't be there in the first term. In the second term, first of all, this looks like the ##v## for the satellite, not the ground observer (##v## for the ground observer should be what I said in my previous post), and it's in the wrong units: in your OP, you said 10,000 km/h, but ##v## should be in meters per second since you gave ##c## in meters per second; you have to use consistent units throughout. (Also there seems to be an extra ##2## at the end of your value for ##c##, ##c## should be 299792458 meters per second.)

PeterDonis said:
an observer who is "stationary" on Earth is not motionless for purposes of this calculation, because the Earth is rotating
Yes, good point.

What is gravitational redshift with time dilation?

Gravitational redshift with time dilation is a phenomenon that occurs when an object with a strong gravitational field, such as a black hole, causes the wavelengths of light to lengthen as it moves away from the object. This is due to the effects of both gravity and the passage of time on the light waves.

How is gravitational redshift with time dilation related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that gravity is not a force between objects, but rather a curvature in the fabric of space-time. This curvature can cause light to change its path, leading to the phenomenon of gravitational redshift with time dilation.

What are some real-world examples of gravitational redshift with time dilation?

One example of gravitational redshift with time dilation is the observation of the redshifted light coming from stars near the edge of a galaxy. This is due to the strong gravitational pull of the galaxy's center, causing the light to stretch as it travels towards us.

Another example is the observation of the redshifted light from objects close to a black hole. As the light travels out of the strong gravitational field of the black hole, its wavelength is lengthened, leading to a redshift.

How is gravitational redshift with time dilation different from Doppler redshift?

Gravitational redshift with time dilation and Doppler redshift are both phenomena that cause light to appear shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. However, gravitational redshift with time dilation is due to the effects of gravity and the passage of time, while Doppler redshift is caused by the relative motion of the source of the light.

Can gravitational redshift with time dilation be observed on Earth?

Yes, gravitational redshift with time dilation can be observed on Earth. It has been observed in laboratory experiments using highly precise equipment, such as atomic clocks. It has also been observed in astronomical observations, such as the redshifted light from the sun's gravitational field.