Instagram app: first two icons, uninstalled, one remains

In summary, the user had two working Instagram app icons on their Android phone desktop, but after uninstalling the app, one icon disappeared and the other remained. However, the app no longer showed up in the list of apps, making it impossible to manage or delete. The user was able to solve the issue by long-pressing on the app icon and selecting the option to delete it. The thread has been locked to prevent any further posts.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Solved: Two icons for Instagram on my phone; I uninstalled the app, one icon remains and working on the desktop but is not in the list of apps anymore. What to do?
Original post: On my Android phone desktop I had my Instagram app... and for some reason there were two icons (both worked). I uninstalled the app (in Manage apps in Settings), and one of the icons disappeared, but the other one is still there and working... but it does not not now show up in the list of apps. Thus I cannot manage the app (e.g., delete it). What is going on, and how can I remedy this? (and yes, I tried rebooting.)
Edit: I found that I could long-press on the app icon until a menu came up, allowing me to delete it. (I leave this post here in case anyone else has this issue; the thread may now be closed (or deleted, at the discretion of the mentors).

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks Noma I also locked the thread to prevent any future posts.

Likes nomadreid

What are the first two icons on the Instagram app?

The first two icons on the Instagram app are the home icon and the search icon. The home icon takes you to your feed where you can see posts from accounts you follow. The search icon allows you to search for specific accounts, hashtags, or locations.

What happens if I uninstall the Instagram app?

If you uninstall the Instagram app, you will no longer be able to access the app or any of its features. Your account will still exist, but you will not be able to log in or view any content until you reinstall the app.

Why does one icon remain after I uninstall the Instagram app?

The remaining icon is most likely the shortcut icon that was created on your device's home screen when you first downloaded the app. This icon is not directly connected to the app itself and will remain even if the app is uninstalled.

How do I remove the remaining icon after uninstalling the Instagram app?

To remove the remaining icon, you can simply press and hold the icon until a menu appears. Then, select the option to delete or remove the icon. This will remove the shortcut from your home screen.

Will my account be deleted if I uninstall the Instagram app?

No, uninstalling the app will not delete your account. Your account will still exist and you can log in and access your account again by reinstalling the app.