limits, shirnking circles, points of intersection

In summary: I think "62" is actually "60" in the 5th edition... (The 6th edition has that exercise as #62, and the figure shown in someone's post above is different from the figure I know.)The geometric solution is to find the points P and Q on the x-axis for which the triangle PRQ is a right triangle; then the distance from P to the origin is the radius of the large circle. The key is to use the fact that the tangent to a circle is perpendicular to the radius at the point of tangency. (Make a sketch, and you'll see it quickly.)
beneakin
1. Homework Statement

http://www.nellilevental.com/calc1.jpg

2. Homework Equations

C1 = \left(x - 1\right) ^{2} + y^{2} = 1
C2 = x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I thought that the "value" of R was just going to increase without bound since the slope of the line was going to get more and more parallel to the X-axis. The skeptic in me doesn't think the answer would actually be that obvious though. So this is what I did:

I found the expressions for both "upper halves" of the circles, and set them equal to each other to find the general form of the point of intersection Q

C1_{upper} = \sqrt{1-(x-1)^{2}} = C2_{upper} = \sqrt{r^{2}-x^{2}}

\sqrt{1-(x-1)^{2}} = \sqrt{r^{2}-x^{2}}

1-(x-1)^{2} = r^{2}-x^{2}

1-(x^{2}-2x+1) = r^{2}-x^{2}

2x = r^{2}

x = \frac{r^{2}}{2}

so that gives me the x-coordinate of Q as a function of r, and I just plugged that back into C2upper to get the y-coordinate which gives me the coordinates of Q as:

(\frac{r^{2}}{2}, \frac{\sqrt{4r^{2}-r^{4}}}{2})

I then used that and the initial point of (0,r) to find the slope of the line PR, and since I already had the y-intercept I got this as the equation of the line PR:

Y = X(\frac{\sqrt{4r^{2}-r^{4}}-2r}{r^{2}})+r

THEN, I set that equal to 0 and solved for X to get an expression for the X value of R(the x-intercept of the line) as a function of the radius of the initial shrinking circle and got:

X=\frac{-r^{3}}{\sqrt{4r^{2}-r^{4}}-2r}

Now, if I graph that, it seems to work, at r = 2, the x value is 2 which is correct, and it seems like as r->0+ the limit of R is 4

At this point I just have no idea whether I'm right or not, 4 seems awfully small compared to the initial infinity I thought it would approach, but what the **** do I know, and it's an even problem so I feel like I'm SOL, which is why I come here

the book is James Stewart Single Variable Calculus 6e, ch 2.3 exercise 60
dynamicsolo
Jan11-08, 01:53 PM
the book is James Stewart Single Variable Calculus 6e, ch 2.3 exercise 60

Heh, I recognized this problem right away, since that's the book we use where I am... (BTW, it's exercise 62.)

C1 = \left(x - 1\right) ^{2} + y^{2} = 1
C2 = x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}

I see no problems with your derivation of the x-intercept.

I was going to suggest a tip here on solving for the upper intersection point of the two circles. If you expand the first equation as

(x^{2} - 2x + 1) + y^{2} = 1, giving

x^{2} - 2x + y^{2} = 0 ,

you can immediately substitute the second equation into this to obtain

r^{2} - 2x = 0 .

In any event, looking at your result for the intercept

X=\frac{-r^{3}}{\sqrt{4r^{2}-r^{4}}-2r} ,

the limit as x->0 gives you zero in the denominator and an indeterminate ratio 0/0 for the limit.

Given that you're in Section 2.3 of Stewart, you're past the point where you're allowed to just graph the function; you'll have to actually solve this using a technique you've learned. To make life a bit easier, factor out an "r" from the numerator and denominator to get

\frac{-r^{2}}{\sqrt{4 - r^{2}} - 2}

and using the "conjugate factor" method by multiplying the numerator and denominator by \sqrt{4 - r^{2}} + 2 . This will help you get rid of the troublesome denominator and give you something easy to take the limit of for x->0.

Having taught "Calc-One" recently, I happen to have the solutions manual for Stewart here and find that there is also a nice completely geometric solution given. But you're learning about limits, so go to it... (The limit is indeed X = 4 , which does seem counterintuitive.)
ice109
Jan11-08, 03:26 PM
can someone give a clear geometric argument for why this is true?
mda
Jan11-08, 04:15 PM
can someone give a clear geometric argument for why this is true?

Once you have the intersection point Q, it is a case of constructing similar triangles.
Q is approximately (1/2 r^2, r).

Taking angle POQ we bisect and intersect with PQR, calling this point S say.
S is approximately (1/4 r^2, r).
OS is perpendicular to PQR, so OSP and RPO are similar triangles.
Therefore OR = OS OP/PS = r r / (1/4 r^2) = 4.
iceman713
Jan11-08, 04:34 PM
Heh, I recognized this problem right away, since that's the book we use where I am... (BTW, it's exercise 62.)

I see no problems with your derivation of the x-intercept.

I was going to suggest a tip here on solving for the upper intersection point of the two circles. If you expand the first equation as

(x^{2} - 2x + 1) + y^{2} = 1, giving

x^{2} - 2x + y^{2} = 0 ,

you can immediately substitute the second equation into this to obtain

r^{2} - 2x = 0 .

In any event, looking at your result for the intercept

X=\frac{-r^{3}}{\sqrt{4r^{2}-r^{4}}-2r} ,

the limit as x->0 gives you zero in the denominator and an indeterminate ratio 0/0 for the limit.

Given that you're in Section 2.3 of Stewart, you're past the point where you're allowed to just graph the function; you'll have to actually solve this using a technique you've learned. To make life a bit easier, factor out an "r" from the numerator and denominator to get

\frac{-r^{2}}{\sqrt{4 - r^{2}} - 2}

and using the "conjugate factor" method by multiplying the numerator and denominator by \sqrt{4 - r^{2}} + 2 . This will help you get rid of the troublesome denominator and give you something easy to take the limit of for x->0.

Having taught "Calc-One" recently, I happen to have the solutions manual for Stewart here and find that there is also a nice completely geometric solution given. But you're learning about limits, so go to it... (The limit is indeed X = 4 , which does seem counterintuitive.)
Look at the picture, it is indeed problem 60. :tongue2:

And I did completely forget that I wasn't allowed to just graph it, as I type this I'm trying to force my eyes to not look at your post so I won't cheat.

Nice tip too, thanks.

Edit: whoooo, I did it
dynamicsolo
Jan11-08, 08:00 PM
Look at the picture, it is indeed problem 60. :tongue2:

I'll have to go back and check the Fifth Edition of Stewart, then. In the Sixth Edition, it is #62 both in the textbook and the solutions manual.

And I did completely forget that I wasn't allowed to just graph it...

I made the comment I did about you're being in Section 2.3 also because there is another technique for dealing with limits which lead to indeterminate ratios like this one, but you won't see it until Chapter 4. (Although, frankly, the "conjugate factor" method is faster for something like this than l'Hopital's Rule is...)

The argument that mda gives above is related to the alternate solution offered in the manual; there, the solver used constructions built on the point diametrically opposite to P on C2...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

im sorry i just wanted to see if the equations would show up properly as I am still tryna figure out this problem i found in the archives

beneakin said:
im sorry i just wanted to see if the equations would show up properly as I am still tryna figure out this problem i found in the archives

No worries. I moved this thread to the Homework Help forum, edited the title to remove the refererence to "love" (strange), and marked it Solved, so that Homework Helpers don't spend time trying to figure out your original post (OP) above.

As for LaTex typesetting, there is a good tutorial in the Leaning Materials section of the PF:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

See if that tutorial helps. Welcome to the PF!

1. What are limits and why are they important in science?

Limits refer to the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input (usually denoted by x) gets closer and closer to a certain value (usually denoted by a). In science, limits are important because they help us understand the behavior of a system or process as it approaches a critical point, such as a phase transition or a singularity.

2. How do shrinking circles relate to limits?

Shrinking circles can be used as a visual representation of limits, where the circle represents the set of all points that are within a certain distance (radius) from a central point. As the radius of the circle decreases, the points within the circle get closer and closer to the central point, approaching a limit. This concept is commonly used in calculus to understand the behavior of functions.

3. What are points of intersection and how are they calculated?

Points of intersection refer to the points where two or more curves, lines, or surfaces intersect. In mathematics, points of intersection can be calculated by setting the equations of the curves or lines equal to each other and solving for the common values of the variables. In science, points of intersection can represent important solutions or relationships between different physical phenomena.

4. Can limits, shrinking circles, and points of intersection be used in real-world applications?

Yes, these concepts are widely used in various fields of science and engineering. For example, in physics, limits are used to understand the behavior of particles as they approach the speed of light, while shrinking circles can represent the decreasing uncertainty in the position of a particle. Points of intersection are also commonly used in areas such as computer graphics, where they are used to determine the positions of objects in a 3D space.

5. How can understanding limits and points of intersection help in problem-solving?

Understanding limits and points of intersection can help in problem-solving by providing a framework for analyzing and predicting the behavior of complex systems or processes. By using these concepts, scientists and engineers can make informed decisions and design solutions that take into account critical points and intersections. They also allow for the extrapolation of data and the identification of important relationships between different variables.