Need help figuring out weird formatting in my Outlook e-mail

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation was about a person who accidentally entered a paragraph-view mode while composing an email and was looking for a way to turn it off. They tried searching for hotkeys and help, but were unsuccessful. Another person suggested using the key combination CTRL+SHIFT+.* which solved the issue. The person expressed gratitude and acknowledged the help received from the other person.
berkeman
Mentor
I managed to stumble while typing pretty fast, and hit some key combination that put me into a weird paragraph-view type mode for the e-mail messages that I compose. See the screenshot below.

I've tried searching Outlook help for "hotkeys" and "paragraph view" and similar, but no luck so far. Does anybody know what that mode is called, and what key combination toggles it back off again? Thanks a lot! :-)

Attachments

• Outlook Formatting Messed Up.jpg
    Outlook Formatting Messed Up.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 353
Computer science news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Thanks! That was it. I owe you one, Borg! :)
Consider it a minor payment toward everything that you've done for everyone else. :)

Likes berkeman

Hello,

It sounds like you may have accidentally activated the "Show/Hide" feature in Outlook, which displays formatting symbols such as paragraph marks and spaces. This can be toggled on and off by pressing the "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "*"" keys. Alternatively, you can also click on the "Show/Hide" button in the "Paragraph" section of the "Home" tab in the Outlook toolbar.

I hope this helps resolve your issue. If you continue to experience difficulties, I recommend reaching out to Microsoft support for further assistance.

Best,

Scientist

1. Why is my Outlook e-mail formatting appearing strange?

There could be a few reasons for this. It could be due to a glitch in the software or a problem with your internet connection. It could also be caused by incompatible fonts or settings in your e-mail program.

2. How can I fix the weird formatting in my Outlook e-mail?

The first step would be to try closing and reopening the program or restarting your device. If that doesn't work, try changing the font or adjusting the text settings in your e-mail program. You could also try sending the e-mail to yourself or a friend to see if the formatting looks normal there.

3. Why does the formatting in my e-mail look fine on my computer but not on other devices?

This could be due to compatibility issues between different devices and operating systems. It's best to stick to basic fonts and formatting options to ensure that your e-mail looks the same across all devices.

4. How can I prevent future formatting issues in my Outlook e-mail?

To avoid formatting issues, try to use simple and consistent formatting in your e-mails. Stick to standard fonts and avoid using too many colors or fonts. It's also a good idea to preview your e-mail before sending it to ensure that it looks the way you want it to.

5. Could the formatting in my e-mail be affected by the recipient's e-mail program?

Yes, the formatting in your e-mail could look different to the recipient depending on their e-mail program and settings. It's always a good idea to test your e-mail on different devices and programs to ensure that it looks the way you want it to.