1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solved: non-uniform circular motion problem

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 200g ball on a 55-cm-long string is swung in a vertical circle about a point 200 cm above the floor. The string suddenly breaks when it is parallel to the ground and the ball is moving upward. The ball reaches a height 600 cm above the floor. What was the tension in the string an instant before it broke?

Given variables:
    initial height: 0.2 m
    final height: 0.6 m
    radius: 0.55 m
    mass of ball: 0.2 kg
    gravity: -9.8 m/s^2

The attempt at a solution
    My answer: The ball is rotating around a point that is 200 cm (0.2 m) above the ground, and snaps off when the string is parallel to the ground- i.e. when the ball is the same height as the center-point of its rotation. It reaches a height of 0.6 m or 600 cm, with a total vertical displacement of (0.6-0.2) m, or 0.4 m, upward. During this displacement of 0.4 m, it has a negative acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 due to gravity. Using this information, and assuming that the velocity at maximum height is equal to zero, I can use the following equation to figure out the tangential velocity at the instant the ball broke off the string:

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(y2-y1)
    => 0^2 = Vi^2 + 2(-9.8)(0.6-0.2)
    => 0 = Vi^2 + 2(-9.8)(0.4)
    => -Vi^2 = -7.84
    => Vi = sqrt(7.84) = 2.8

Now I know that the tangential velocity of the ball the instant before it broke off the string was 2.8 m/s upward.

Since centripetal acceleration is "velocity squared over radius", and radius is 55 cm or 0.55 m, so

ac = v^2 / r
    => ac = (2.8)^2 / (0.55) = 14.25

With an acceleration of 14.25 m/s^2 toward the center, the force toward the center should be mass times acceleration, and the mass of the ball is 0.2 kg so

Fc = ac * m
    => 14.25 * 0.2 = 2.85

So the tension on the string should be 2.85 N.

Where did I go wrong?
    Did I neglect some vertical component of tension that counteracts gravity while the ball is still attached to the string?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The conversion of cm to m involves a factor of 100, not 1000 !

Apart from that: my compliments for a very clear posting !

And: welcome to PF, PET :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    I would try using conservation of energy and see if that gets you the right answer..

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4
    Oops...
    Thank you so much!
    One oversight that gave me a week of stress!

6. Nov 2, 2014 #5
    I got the answer, so I'm going re-title the thread as "Solved:..."
    Thank you BvU and Newton!

7. Nov 2, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

c from centum, Latin for 100. You'll never forget any more... century, centurion, dollarcent, eurocent, and so on and so forth :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted