Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[solved] Os

1. Windows 2000/XP

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Windows 95/98/ME

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Linux

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Other UNIX

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. MacOS X

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Older MacOS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. May 15, 2003 #1
    Which OS do you use the most?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2003 #2
    I've started using Windows 2003 Enterprise Server on the company workstation since we got it in. I have to say, it seems quite a bit more secure by default than W2K Server did, although on the flip side, it fails to make use of my sound card.

I also have problems installing a few apps that would normally load on W2K/XP.

Anyone else here used 2K3 or seen this issues?

4. May 15, 2003 #3
    In order of use;

1) winXP
    2) win95
    3) win311 (wfw)

5. May 15, 2003 #4

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I haven't had any problems with 2k3, but I've been only installing utilities so far.

6. May 17, 2003 #5
    The worst is ME, It broke after 10 hours for god sake

7. May 17, 2003 #6
    Linux

Hi all,
    Well, if you want security, then it is linux that you should use.
    If you want stability, then try linux,
    and if you want everything, Again, it is linux.

hhegab

8. May 18, 2003 #7
    I had Windows Me before upgrading to XP. It was probably the WORST OS I have ever had the misfortune to use. It would crash ATLEAST five times a day, usually once after another.

Windows XP on the other hand is very realiable. I have had almost no problems with it,other than the initial driver conflict here and there.

9. May 18, 2003 #8
    Likewise Pauly, Ive had XP for over a year and its never crashed.

10. May 18, 2003 #9
    I don't like the choices. Not the OSes themselves, but the grouping together. For example I abhore XP, but I think 2000 is very good. I hate ME and 95 is far too limited, but 98(SE) is still a very useful and fairly reliable OS. So you won't see my vote in the totals until I can choose one OS.

The one I use the most at present is win 2000, with 98SE a close second.

11. May 19, 2003 #10
    Why the opposition to XP? Do you just not like the whole "candy coated" design, or have you noticed other problems with it?

BTW, I installed Red Hat 8 on my Dell at home, and 3 days into running it my browser (Netscape, bundled with OS) would close itself immediately after I opened it. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but ever since W2K, Msoft has never given me such issues. ;)

12. May 19, 2003 #11

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I just started work at a new web design company and I have to work exclusively on OSX

13. May 19, 2003 #12
    OSX looks really pretty, but even on my friends' new laptop it still sorta crawls. I hate excess chrome.

J-Man -- I grouped them by kernel category; 95,98,ME are basically the same OS with different user interfaces etc. Same with 2000 and XP, which are built on a different codebase.

14. May 19, 2003 #13
    Anyone heard about the newer windows stuff?

I remember hearing some codename/working name, but whats the scoop?

Any sites to check out?

I want something reovlutionary dammitt, all windows look the same!

no bottom bar, no start button no ICONS!!

make something COOL

15. May 20, 2003 #14
    Oh yeah, and ruin all of the conditioning they've done over the years..

The default Microsoft UI will probably always maintain similarities with previous versions of Windows. I'm sure a fair amount of Windows users would prefer more options for the interface without having to add third-party, RAM intensive software, though. Maybe they'll change that in future versions. I hear they'll be adding tabs to IE in the future also. For those who have not browsed with the assistance of tabs, you are truly missing out.

As for my OS, proud Debian GNU/Linux user here.

16. May 20, 2003 #15
  17. May 21, 2003 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Thats worth expanding on - most people don't know it.

There was actually MORE of a difference between Win95 and Win95 OSR2 than between Win98 and WinME. You can even look at the actual version numbers by typing "ver" at a command prompt or looking at "system" in control panel.

A lot of companies do this sort of thing. Its just marketing and not a big deal as long as you know what you are looking at. For example, a Pentium Pro, Pentium 2, and Pentium 3 all use the same core. And it doesn't just apply to computers.

18. Jun 30, 2003 #17
    I use linux most of the time and switch over to windows (XP) for gaming. winex is annoying to configure .
    -HBar

19. Jul 5, 2003 #18
    Are Linux and windows simlar becasue i want to use linux but have been weened at the teet of Windows. Alough ever since i builkd my new comp withe xp prof it seemed to be ok...but still fatel errors ever so often...then agian i am running stuff that falls under the category of old

20. Jul 9, 2003 #19
    winme -> lots of crashes...but the tvtunner works perfectly...:)
    not the same for winxp...

21. Jul 9, 2003 #20
    I use W95 as my computer is old!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?