Solved problems of Thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking recommendations for bibliography with solved problems related to thermodynamics. The user specifically mentions wanting to find resources with not only numerical or algebraic results, but also the solution process itself. One suggestion given is to search for 'Schaum's Outline of Thermodynamics' on Amazon, which provides books with theory and worked example problems. The user also asks for any additional recommendations, particularly for online resources with notes.
gerardpc
Hello everybody! This is my first thread and I'm just kind of discovering the forum. If I should make a presentation or should have posted this thread somwhere else, let me know please!

I have plenty of books and notes about a first course in Thermodynamics, but I'm having a bit of trouble when trying to solve problems, as I have no starting point, no "guiding reference" as to how to work it out. I was wondering if somebody could recommend me some bibliography with some solved paradigmatic problems about the laws of thermodynamics, heat engines, thermodynamic potentials, phase transitions and such things... a typical first course. And not just the numerical or algebraic results of the problem, but the solution itself.
Anything you can point out will be greatly apreciated: book references, web pdfs... anything!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Hit Amazon.com and search for 'Schaum's Outline of Thermodynamics'. There are several different titles, which deal with engineering, chemical processes, or the purely theoretical aspects. These books cover the theory and provide worked example problems. They also contain problems without detailed solutions, but they do have the final answer for checking purposes.

Thank you!

Any other recommendations (specially with any pdf or .djvu i can find online, with notes)?

Last edited:

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time, and that heat energy cannot spontaneously flow from a colder body to a hotter body.

3. What is the difference between an open and closed system in thermodynamics?

An open system is one in which both matter and energy can be exchanged with its surroundings, while a closed system can only exchange energy, not matter. In other words, an open system allows for matter to enter or leave, while a closed system is isolated from its surroundings.

4. What is the Carnot Cycle and how does it relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat energy into work. It consists of two isothermal processes and two adiabatic processes. The efficiency of the Carnot Cycle is limited by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that no engine can be 100% efficient in converting heat energy into work.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has numerous applications in everyday life, such as in the design of engines, refrigerators, and air conditioners. It is also used in the study of weather and climate, and in the production of electricity from power plants. Additionally, thermodynamics plays a crucial role in understanding chemical reactions and processes in living organisms.