Velocity of a Proton in a Capacitor

In summary: So in summary, the proton is fired horizontally through a parallel-plate capacitor with an electric field of 1.3x10^5 V/m pointing downwards. The distance between the plates is 31 mm. The proton enters the gap 18.6 mm above the lower plate. Using kinematics equations, the magnitude of the acceleration can be determined to be 1.245x10^13 m/s/s, and the voltage difference is 4030 V.
Phoenixtears
SOLVED

Homework Statement

A proton is fired horizontally with a speed of 1.1 106 m/s through the parallel-plate capacitor shown in Figure P34.37. The capacitor's electric field is = (1.3 105 V/m, down) and the distance between the plates is 31 millimeter.
(Image Attached)

The proton entered the capacitor gap 18.6 milli-meters above the lower plate. Where doe the proton strike the lower plate?

Measured in meters from the front edge of the lower plate.

Homework Equations

Kinematics Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There were other questions on this problem that I already solved for. So here are other things that I know:

The magnitude of the acceleration= 1.245E13 m/s/s

Voltage difference= 4030 V

Now I've set up a kinematics table (seperate for horizontal and verticle):

Known for horizontal: Initial V= 1.1E6; A= 1.245E13
Uknown: distance, final velocity, time

Known for verticle: x= .0186 meters; Initial v= 0
Uknown: final velocity, acceleration, time

Any suggestions? I've no idea where to go from here.

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

Attachments

• Capacitor.gif
    Capacitor.gif
    8 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Phoenixtears,

Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

A proton is fired horizontally with a speed of 1.1 106 m/s through the parallel-plate capacitor shown in Figure P34.37. The capacitor's electric field is = (1.3 105 V/m, down) and the distance between the plates is 31 millimeter.
(Image Attached)

The proton entered the capacitor gap 18.6 milli-meters above the lower plate. Where doe the proton strike the lower plate?

Measured in meters from the front edge of the lower plate.

Homework Equations

Kinematics Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There were other questions on this problem that I already solved for. So here are other things that I know:

The magnitude of the acceleration= 1.245E13 m/s/s

Since the electric field is downwards, what is the direction of this acceleration? I think the answer for this will change your kinematics table below.

Voltage difference= 4030 V

Now I've set up a kinematics table (seperate for horizontal and verticle):

Known for horizontal: Initial V= 1.1E6; A= 1.245E13
Uknown: distance, final velocity, time

Known for verticle: x= .0186 meters; Initial v= 0
Uknown: final velocity, acceleration, time

Any suggestions? I've no idea where to go from here.

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

Aha! I see. That makes so much more sense.

Becasue the field is down, the acceleration is also down. Then the horizonatal acceleration is 0 (I should have listened to my sister :-p). Thank you so much!

Phoenixtears said:
Aha! I see. That makes so much more sense.

Becasue the field is down, the acceleration is also down. Then the horizonatal acceleration is 0 (I should have listened to my sister :-p). Thank you so much!

Sure, glad to help!

1. What is the velocity of a proton in a capacitor?

The velocity of a proton in a capacitor depends on the electric field strength and the mass of the proton. It can be calculated using the equation v = E/B, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How does the velocity of a proton in a capacitor affect its behavior?

The velocity of a proton in a capacitor determines its kinetic energy and therefore, its motion within the capacitor. A higher velocity will result in a greater kinetic energy and a faster motion, while a lower velocity will result in a lower kinetic energy and a slower motion.

3. Can the velocity of a proton in a capacitor be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of a proton in a capacitor can be controlled by adjusting the electric field strength or the magnetic field strength. This can be done by changing the distance between the capacitor plates or by varying the voltage applied to the plates.

4. What is the relationship between the velocity of a proton and the charge of the capacitor?

The velocity of a proton is not directly related to the charge of the capacitor. However, the electric field strength, which affects the velocity, is directly proportional to the charge of the capacitor. Therefore, the velocity of a proton can indirectly be affected by the charge of the capacitor.

5. How does the velocity of a proton in a capacitor vary with temperature?

The velocity of a proton in a capacitor is not affected by temperature since it depends on the electric and magnetic fields, which do not change with temperature. However, the motion of the proton may be affected by other factors such as collisions with other particles, which can be influenced by temperature.