Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solvent for polymer reaction

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1
    Hi chemistry friends,

I'm currently working on a reaction to produce the following polymer: Cyclopentadiene functionalized polyketone.

I start with polyketone as a reagent and I should end up with the reaction product together with the solvent (THF) and water with NaOH.

4863134612_9b21a61ab3_z.jpg

My question is as following: How can I separate my reaction product from the THF/water ?
    Do you think that is will be insoluble in THF/water, so I can use simple filtration? Or should I use a different solvent to extract the polymer ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2010 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It should be much less soluble in THF/water. The more water the less soluble. You might need to add more THF or dioxane to keep it in solution long enough to complete the grafting. After that, pour the stuff into a large volume of cold water and isolate a crude solid. Dissolve in a minimum of dioxane and repeat to further purify and reduce the amount of salts in the product.

4. Aug 9, 2010 #3
    Tried to repricipitate the reaction mixture in water. Filtration doesn't seem to work however.. only for about 5 ml. Then it stops.
    Any tips for this ?

5. Aug 11, 2010 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The stuff is sticky and clogs your filter's pores. Try centrifuging. Or you could put the whole thing on the rotavap and remove the THF solvent. It should goo out on the glass surface eventually. Decant, add some THF and reprecip into cold water. If you still have troubles with the precipitation/filtration or centrifuging, put it back on the rotavap and remove the THF again. Dry the goo under high vacuum and hope that when the last traces of solvent and water are removed you get a friable solid so you can scrape it out, grind it and properly dry it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook