Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving 3D matrix equation

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm pretty rusty with solving linear equations, my equations are:

ai = bijkcjk

i = 1,... n
    j, k = 1,... m

Would like to know c, given a and b. Need somewhere to start, without having to cover 3 years of notes that I took 5 years ago, thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Comments: I know I could compact j and k into a single dimension and reduce it to a "simple" matrix equation but this process discards valuable information that I need later on. Or at least makes it difficult to retrieve this information, so I'd like to explore a way of solving the equations outright. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure that you can solve for the individual values of c. It looks to me like you will have more uknown values than equations. If the indices run from 1 to 3, c will have 9 values but because of the contraction on both i and k, you will have only three equations.

4. Jul 21, 2011 #3
    Good point, I forgot to mention that. Let's say n = m^2, and the equations are consistent.

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4
    Yep - I think HallsofIvey is correct. The term we could use here is an underdetermined system.

6. Jul 21, 2011 #5
    Yeah for a system of equations (unless those are complex nums, which I thought on first glance) you need the num of differing equations= the num of variables.

7. Jul 22, 2011 #6
    Ok, that condition is satisfied by setting n=m^2, now i,j = 1,... m, k = 1,... m^2 so we have m^2 equations in m^2 unknowns.

8. Jul 22, 2011 #7

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If n = m^2, then this is simple. First you need to "unwrap" c_jk into a single column vector c_l, where l now runs from 1 to m^2. b_ijk must be similarly unwrapped into b_il. In both cases, this is easily accomplished by defining

l = 3(j-1) + (k-1) + 1 = 3j + k - 3

l now runs from 1 to 9 as j and k run from 1 to 3, with each value of j and k being mapped to a unique l. Notice all I've done here is expand l in base 3. For general m^2, you would have

l = m(j - 1) + (k - 1) + 1 = mj + k - m

Once you have re-written your equation as

a_i = b_il c_l

it is easy to solve by standard linear algebra.

Finally, since each (j,k) pair maps to a unique l, it is also easy to get back c_jk the way you want it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook