1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a complex equation

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    The problem says: Find all solutions z of the equation: z^6 - 4z^3 + 4 = i

First I factored the equation into (z^3 -2)^2 = i, set w= z^3 -2 and solved w^2 = i for w_1 = sqrt(i) and w_2 = -sqrt(i). I tried setting z^3 - 2 = sqrt(i) and solving but I get stuck there. I really have no idea how to go about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to figure out how to use deMoivre to extract roots. For example to solve w^2=i, write i=e^(i*(pi/2)), e^(i*(pi/2+2pi)), ... Now if w^n=e^(i*theta) a root is w=e^(i*theta/2). Can you write both of your roots +/-sqrt(i) in the rectangular form a+bi?

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    hmm...I guess I don't really see what you mean. Is it possible to write +/-sqrt(i) in the form a+bi? I can't figure out how.

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

DeMoivre! e^(i*theta)=cos(theta)+i*sin(theta). You must have seen this somewhere. So e^(i*pi/2)=cos(pi/2)+i*sin(pi/2)=0+i*1=i. Now (e^(i*theta))^2=e^(i*2*theta). So w=e^(i*pi/4) solves w^2=e^(i*pi/2)=i. So w=cos(pi/4)+i*sin(pi/4). That's one of the square roots of i. What is it in rectangular form?

6. Jan 31, 2010 #5
    oh yeah, yeah, now I see. That would be w=sqrt(2)/2 + i*sqrt(2)/2. So now I need to solve w=z^3 -2 = sqrt(2)/2 + i*sqrt(2)/2? Since the original equation is of degree six shouldn't I have six solutions?

7. Jan 31, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. There are two square roots of i. So z^3=2+sqrt(2)/2+sqrt(2)*i/2 or z^3=2+(-sqrt(2)/2-sqrt(2)*i/2). Those are two cubic equations. Each one has three roots. Now it gets a little hairy because you have to express the right side of those equations in the form r*e^(i*theta) and find 3 angles phi such that 3*phi is theta. Then your roots are r^(1/3)*e^(i*phi) for each of those angles. But conceptually its the same and finding the square roots of i.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook