Finding Solutions to a Complex Equation

In summary, when solving a complex equation, it is important to start by simplifying the equation and using algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variable. If you get stuck, take a step back and try different strategies or seek help. To check the solution, you can substitute the value back into the original equation or use a calculator. Not all equations can be solved using the same method, so it's important to understand the properties and rules. To solve equations more efficiently, have a good understanding of algebra principles, simplify the equation, and practice regularly.
ƒ(x)

Homework Statement

Solve (z+1)^5 = z^5

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

z^5 + 5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z + 1 = z^5
5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z + 1 = 0
5z^3(z + 2) + 5z(2z + 1) = -1

I'm not quite sure how to go about solving this. Expanding, canceling terms, and then factoring doesn't get me anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
ƒ(x) said:
Solve (z+1)^5 = z^5
It's clear that there are no real roots: consider the graphs of (x+1)^5 and x^5 for real x. Are you looking for an exact solution or a numerical approximation? For an exact solution, you'll have to solve a quartic equation, which can be done but it's fairly ugly.

ƒ(x) said:

Homework Statement

Solve (z+1)^5 = z^5

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

z^5 + 5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z + 1 = z^5
5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z + 1 = 0
5z^3(z + 2) + 5z(2z + 1) = -1

I'm not quite sure how to go about solving this. Expanding, canceling terms, and then factoring doesn't get me anywhere.
Play with it.

5z4 + 10z3 + 10z2 + 5z + 1
=5(z4 + 2z3 + 2z2 + z) + 1

=5(z4 + 2z3 + z2 + z2 + z) + 1

=5( (z2 + z)2 + (z2 + z) ) + 1

=5 (z2 + z)2 + 5 (z2 + z) + 1​

Let u = z2 + z .

You have a quadratic equation in u .

Solve for u, then solve u = z2 + z for z.

Added in Edit:

See Dick's method in the next post. Sweet!

Last edited:
Or just write your equation as [itex](\frac{z+1}{z})^5=1[/itex]. That tells you 1+1/z is a fifth root of unity. It's pretty easy from there.

1. How do you approach solving a complex equation?

There are several strategies for solving a complex equation, but the most common approach is to start by simplifying the equation as much as possible. This may involve factoring, expanding, or rearranging terms. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, isolating variables, or using the quadratic formula to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a complex equation?

If you get stuck while solving a complex equation, it's important to take a step back and look at the equation again. Make sure you have followed all the proper steps and try different strategies to simplify the equation. You can also ask for help from a teacher or tutor, or use online resources and tools to check your work.

3. How do I know if my solution to a complex equation is correct?

To check if your solution to a complex equation is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the unknown variable back into the original equation. If the equation holds true, then your solution is correct. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your solution.

4. Can I use the same method to solve any complex equation?

While there are general strategies for solving complex equations, not all equations can be solved using the same method. Some equations may require more advanced techniques such as calculus or trigonometry. It's important to understand the properties and rules of the types of equations you are solving in order to choose the appropriate method.

5. Are there any tips for solving complex equations more efficiently?

Yes, there are several tips for solving complex equations more efficiently. First, make sure you have a good understanding of the fundamental principles of algebra. Then, try to simplify the equation as much as possible before solving. Also, be organized and show all your work, so you can easily identify any mistakes. Practice regularly to improve your problem-solving skills and speed.