1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a cubic function

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Actually, part of a question on modeling/control systems. I need to find the poles (or, roots) of the cubic function.

2. Relevant equations

x^3 - 13x + 12 = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

The rule of thumb for the course is that if you get a cubic function then there will always be a solution of x equal to -1,0 or 1. For this particular equation, I figured out that it's 1. Now I need 2 more solutions.

On my first try I got +/- sqrt(13) by factoring the equation as follows:

x(x^2-13x)+12=0

Those are wrong, I checked them. So yeah, question is if someone can help me or point me in the direction of a simple way to solve cubic functions, I have almost no experience with them (normally I'd use my calculator, not allowed for this class).

The answers in the appendix say that the other two roots are 3 and -4, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Since you know the first root is 1, you can write:

(x-1)(x+a)(x+b) = x3-13x+12

From this you can tell that -1*a*b = 12, thus a*b = -12. Additionally, since the x2 term is zero, you can multiply the left side and set the x2 term to zero, revealing that a + b = 1. The only possibility where a*b = -12 and a + b = 1 is a = 4 and b = -3, which means x = -4 and x = 3 are roots.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  4. Jun 20, 2012 #3
    Thanks mate, actually don't know why I didn't get this immediately :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook