1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a DE

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must solve [itex]x^2y'+y^2=xyy'[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure but I think that [itex]f(tx,ty)=t^nf(x,y)[/itex] could help.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first reflex was to define a new variable [itex]z=y^2[/itex] but I was stuck a few steps further.
    So I checked out if it was homogeneous and I found out that yes it is, of order 2.
    So I called a new variable [itex]v=y/x[/itex].
    After some algebra, I reached [itex]v(x)=Ae^{\int \frac{x^2-1}{x}dx}[/itex] where A is a constant. Now to get y(x), I'd multiply v(x) by x.
    I'm not asking if my result is correct (I might have made some errors but overall I think the method does work. I'll check the result tomorrow since it's already too late), rather if there's a nicer or faster way to solve the exercise.
    What would you have done in order to solve the DE?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    I have absolutely no idea how you found it was exact and I have to leave soon.

My advice is to divide both sides by x^2 and see what you recognize. I have to sleep now my friend.

*disappears from the shadows*

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    It is a homogenous equation. Therefore, it should be alright if you substitute v=y/x

5. Sep 23, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, both flyingpig and icystrike tell you this equation is homogenous and recomend the substitution v= y/x. But your post says that is exactly what you did!

The only question is why you left
    [tex]\int \frac{x^2- 1}{x}dx= \int x dx- \int\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
    as an integral rather than actually integrating it!

6. Sep 23, 2011 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you all guys, so my way was ok and it seems it's efficient.
    Well I said "homogeneous", not exact. I guess you were tired like me. :)
    I see. That's exactly what I've done so I'm happy it seems I'm grasping it.
    Yes... about the integral, I was so tired that when I saw the quotient I didn't even think 1 s about solving the integral. Now that I look at it, it looks like a piece of cake.
    Thanks once again guys, problem solved.

7. Sep 23, 2011 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hmm I'm turning insane.
    I reached [itex]v(x)=\frac{C}{x}e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}[/itex] which indeed satisfy the DE [itex]x^2(xv'+v)+v^2x^2-x^2v(xv'+v)=0[/itex] as it should.
    Now to get y(x), I thought I simply had to multiply v(x) by x, but this didn't work.
    If I do so, I reach [itex]y(x)=Ce^{\frac{x^2}{2}}[/itex]. This doesn't satisfy the original DE... I really don't understand why.
    The left hand side of the original DE becomes [itex]x^3Ce^{\frac{x^2}{2}}+C^2e^{x^2}[/itex]. The right hand side (which should be equal to the left hand side but isn't) is [itex]x^2C^2e^{x^2}[/itex].

If you're interested in my y', it's [itex]y'(x)=xCe^{\frac{x^2}{2}}[/itex]. I have no idea what's going on!

8. Oct 9, 2011 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hey guys I still don't know what I did wrong. I posted my work in my last post and the answer doesn't satisfy the original DE...
    On the other hand I attacked the problem by a friend's approach.
    I divided the original DE by xy to get [itex]y' \left ( 1 - \frac{x}{y} \right ) -\frac{y}{x}=0[/itex]. Then [itex]y'=\frac{y}{x} \cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{x}{y}}[/itex] which is separable. I get the implicit solution for y: [itex]\frac{y}{x}-\ln \left ( \frac{y}{x} \right )=\ln x+C[/itex].
    But I still haven't figured out my error(s) in my last post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook