Solving a first order circuit

In summary, the voltage across the capacitor is 9 V when the switch is closed and the current through the 2 kΩ resistor is zero.

Homework Statement

Selection_026.png

We are given K1 = 0. So the answer should be in the form of V(x) = K2e^(-t/z)

Homework Equations

V=IR
V(x) = K1 + K2e^(-t/z)
V(infinity) = K1
V(0+) = K1 + K2
z = RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw the circuit for t = 0- and find the voltage across the capacitor. Vc(0-) = 27/12*4 = 9V

Now I draw the circuit for t = 0+ with the capacitor as a voltage source. I apply KVL to get the following:

4i1 = 27
i2 = 0
-9 + 2i3 + 4i3 = 0

Vo(0+) = -3V

We know K1 = 0, so I don't draw the circuit for Vo(infinity)

V(0+) = -3 = K2

z = RC.

Now I get the thevenin resistance across the capacitor; ignoring the short circuit I have: ( 1/(1/4+1/4)+2)=4k ohm

So z = 4000 * 350 * 10^-6 = 1.4

But my answer is wrong: V(t) = -3e^(-t/1.4)

Physics news on Phys.org
x86 said:

Homework Statement

Selection_026.png

We are given K1 = 0. So the answer should be in the form of V(x) = K2e^(-t/z)

Homework Equations

V=IR
V(x) = K1 + K2e^(-t/z)
V(infinity) = K1
V(0+) = K1 + K2
z = RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw the circuit for t = 0- and find the voltage across the capacitor. Vc(0-) = 27/12*4 = 9V

Now I draw the circuit for t = 0+ with the capacitor as a voltage source. I apply KVL to get the following:

4i1 = 27
i2 = 0
-9 + 2i3 + 4i3 = 0

Vo(0+) = -3V

We know K1 = 0, so I don't draw the circuit for Vo(infinity)

V(0+) = -3 = K2

z = RC.

Now I get the thevenin resistance across the capacitor; ignoring the short circuit I have: ( 1/(1/4+1/4)+2)=4k ohm

So z = 4000 * 350 * 10^-6 = 1.4

But my answer is wrong: V(t) = -3e^(-t/1.4)
Where does current, i3 flow?For t<0, no current flows through the capacitor, so no current flows through the 2kΩ resistor. That also means that for t < 0, you have the wrong voltage across the capacitor .

Edit: I crossed out some bad info!

Last edited:
SammyS said:
For t<0, no current flows through the capacitor, so no current flows through the 2kΩ resistor. That also means that for t < 0, you have the wrong voltage across the capacitor.
No current flows through the 2 kΩ resistor once the capacitor is charged. That puts the right end of the capacitor at 0 V (assuming we take the bottom rail as the 0 V reference). The voltage at the left end of the capacitor is determined by the resistor voltage divider and the voltage source. 9 V looks good for that.

@ x86, I think you're over complicating things by writing multiple loop equations. Once the switch closes the 27 V source and its attached 4 k resistor are effectively isolated by the switch short and become irrelevant to what's happening on the other side of the switch. You can simplify the remaining circuit by combining the two 4k resistors so you end up with a single loop (or a voltage divider if you wish).

Likes x86
gneill said:
No current flows through the 2 kΩ resistor once the capacitor is charged. That puts the right end of the capacitor at 0 V (assuming we take the bottom rail as the 0 V reference). The voltage at the left end of the capacitor is determined by the resistor voltage divider and the voltage source. 9 V looks good for that.

@ x86, I think you're over complicating things by writing multiple loop equations. Once the switch closes the 27 V source and its attached 4 k resistor are effectively isolated by the switch short and become irrelevant to what's happening on the other side of the switch. You can simplify the remaining circuit by combining the two 4k resistors so you end up with a single loop (or a voltage divider if you wish).
Oh Snap !

I misread what OP had!

Thanks !

gneill said:

I believe doing that would give me a different answer (probably a correct one, which I will check at another time).

I'm a bit confused about your method because what about the 27V power source? Surely all of the current from the 27V power source is going through the short. From left to right, we have three 4K resistors. The middle one is connected to the bottom node by this short. Wouldn't all that current flowing through the short affect the resistor a bit? Or perhaps this does not affect it at all because it doesn't pass through the middle resistor.

x86 said:
I believe doing that would give me a different answer (probably a correct one, which I will check at another time).

I'm a bit confused about your method because what about the 27V power source? Surely all of the current from the 27V power source is going through the short.
Right.
From left to right, we have three 4K resistors. The middle one is connected to the bottom node by this short. Wouldn't all that current flowing through the short affect the resistor a bit?
Nope. No effect at all (for a theoretically perfect short).
Or perhaps this does not affect it at all because it doesn't pass through the middle resistor.
Right.

Likes x86

1. What is a first order circuit?

A first order circuit is a circuit that contains only one energy storage element, such as a capacitor or an inductor. It can be represented by a first order differential equation, which describes the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage of the circuit.

2. How do you solve a first order circuit?

To solve a first order circuit, you need to use Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and the differential equation that represents the circuit. By applying these principles and solving the differential equation, you can determine the behavior of the circuit and calculate the output voltage for a given input voltage.

3. What are the different methods for solving a first order circuit?

The two most commonly used methods for solving a first order circuit are the classical method and the Laplace transform method. The classical method involves setting up and solving the differential equation, while the Laplace transform method involves transforming the differential equation into the frequency domain and then using algebraic techniques to solve for the output voltage.

4. What is the time constant of a first order circuit?

The time constant of a first order circuit is the amount of time it takes for the output voltage to reach 63.2% of its steady-state value. It is determined by the value of the energy storage element (capacitance or inductance) and the resistance in the circuit.

5. How do you analyze the transient and steady-state behavior of a first order circuit?

To analyze the transient behavior of a first order circuit, you can use the differential equation to determine the time evolution of the output voltage. To analyze the steady-state behavior, you can use the concept of time constant to determine the final output voltage after the transient response has decayed. Alternatively, you can use the Laplace transform method to analyze both the transient and steady-state behavior simultaneously.