Solving a homogeneous diff eq

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making a substitution to solve a homogeneous equation. The confusion arises when converting the original equation to the substituted form, particularly with the appearance of x^3 and the simplification of udx+xdu to just xdu. The book is correct and the confusion is resolved by using the product rule for differentiation.
kdinser
The book only has one example of this and it's really confusing me.

[tex](x^2+y^2)dx+(x^2-xy)dy=0[/tex]

I can see that it's homogeneous of degree 2

They then let [tex]y = ux[/tex]
From there they state that [tex]dy = udx+xdu[/tex] (I'm not sure where this is coming from, but can just accept it on faith if I have to)

I'm fine with making the subs.

[tex](x^2+u^2x^2)dx+(x^2-ux^2)(u dx+x du)=0[/tex]

This is the part that really screws me up.

[tex]x^2(1+u)dx+x^3(1-u)du=0[/tex]

Where did the [tex]x^3[/tex] come from? All I see is [tex]x^2[/tex]. Or I guess I should ask, how did [tex]udx+xdu[/tex] become just [tex]xdu[/tex]? That would explain the [tex]x^3[/tex] they have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just noticed something else odd.

How did they turn [tex](x^2+x^2u^2)[/tex] into [tex]x^2(1+u)[/tex] what happened to the other u? Shouldn't it be [tex]x^2(1+u^2)[/tex]?

your book is correct

[tex](x^2+u^2x^2)dx+(x^2-ux^2)(u dx+x du)=0[/tex]

[tex] (x^2+u^2x^2)dx + ux^2dx -u^2x^2dx + x^3du -ux^3du=0[/tex]
just calculate the above formula...you must have mage an error there

how do you do this ?

marlon

Last edited:
Thanks, I got it now, I just wasn't carrying things far enough.

kdinser said:
They then let [tex]y = ux[/tex]
From there they state that [tex]dy = udx+xdu[/tex] (I'm not sure where this is coming from, but can just accept it on faith if I have to)
It's just the product rule of differentiation:

[tex]y = ux[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{du}\left[ y\right] =\frac{d}{du}\left[ ux\right] [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{du} = u\frac{dx}{du}+x\frac{du}{du}[/tex]

[tex]dy = udx+xdu[/tex]

What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where all the terms involve the unknown function and its derivatives. In other words, the equation is in the form of y(n) = f(x,y,y',y'',...,y(n-1)), where n is the highest order of the derivative.

What is the general solution of a homogeneous differential equation?

The general solution of a homogeneous differential equation is a solution that includes all possible solutions of the equation. It is usually expressed in terms of a constant C and can be found by solving the characteristic equation associated with the differential equation.

What is the method of substitution for solving a homogeneous differential equation?

The method of substitution involves substituting y = vx or x = vy into the differential equation, where v is a new variable. This allows the equation to be transformed into a separable form, making it easier to solve.

Is there a specific process for solving a homogeneous differential equation?

Yes, there is a specific process for solving a homogeneous differential equation. The steps typically involve finding the general solution, applying initial conditions to find the particular solution, and simplifying the solution to its final form.

What are some real-world applications of solving homogeneous differential equations?

Solving homogeneous differential equations is used in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. For example, it can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.