Solving Logarithmic Equation with TI-89 Titanium: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter hostergaard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation involved solving a logarithmic equation and using the quadratic formula to find the solutions. After some mistakes and hints from others, the final solution was found to be x = 1 + log5(3). It was also discussed why one of the potential solutions, -1/2, was impossible due to the definition of logarithm.
hostergaard

Homework Statement

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2327/nummer1.jpg

Homework Equations

If you use ti-89 titanium, you write log with base(b) (c=number) as log(c,b) fx; the log of 3x in base 5 is written log(3x,5) (log5(3x))took me forever to figure out

The Attempt at a Solution

I filled out about 5 handwriten papers with attempts, all which failled. don't force me to write all my attempts since i find this to be very tedius.
simplified, the equation is;
10*5x=3*5-x+1

i put log5 on each side geting:

log5(5x+3)-x=x+log5(10)

then moving it about a bit i get:

2x-log5(5x+3)=log5(10)

But here i get stuck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to Substitute: 5^x = y (with some restrictions on y)

You'll end up solving a quadratic equation in y!

Good luck

uh? sorry i couldt not get that to work, one of those 5x has a negative sign... (i am not sure i did it right. where in the the proces shuld i put it in?)... sorry, i still need help.

Is there any way that i can get 3 out the log (or in a seperate) in of 2x-log5(5x+3)

You should try phymatast's suggestion again. Multiply both sides by 5^x. Then see if you can pull out any factors and make the equation look like

[tex] a 5^{2x} + b 5^x + c[/tex].

Since 5^(2x) = (5^x)^2, its just a quadratic equation, like phymatast said.

i see, then i get 10*(5x)2-5x-3=0

then:

5x=-(1[tex]\pm\sqrt{}[/tex]-12-4*10*(-3))/2*10

that gives me that
5x=1/2
5x=-3/5

with 5x=-3/5 my calculator goes haywire so gues that's an imposiple answer (because of the -)

then i take log5(5x)=log(1/2)
wich gives me x=-log5(2)
wich gives me an asnwer that dosent fulfil that the anser shuld be given in a+log5b (exept if i say 0-log52 i quess)

Is that the correct answer tough? need a litlle bit more help here!

Check your working in the quadratic formula, it should be -1, not 1 !

You shouldn't need the quadratic formula to solve [itex]10y^2- y- 3= (2y+ 1)(5y- 3)[/itex]: which does NOT give y= 1/2, y= -3/5.

it's 3/5 and not -3/5 and this will give you your answer using basic properties of logarithmic functions.

hint: after you get 5^x = 3/5

take log base 5 on both sides

aah, it seem i have made a mistake; the two possible anser is 3/5 and -1/2.
So, -1/2 is imposible (could someone explain why?). that leaves me with 3/5 using log5 on both side i get x =log5(3/5) using the rule that log(a/b)=log(a)+log(b) i get x=log5(5)+log5(3) which is the same as x=1+log5(3)

Heruka, i finnaly got it! thanks guys, you are all great!:biggrin:

-1/2 is impossible because the original equation would then involve log5(-1/2) and logarithm is defined for negative values of x.

Rigth stupid me; its because log5(-1/2) Reads
"what power must 5 be raised to, to get -1/2" And it is imposible because you can't get a negative number by raising a positive number.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function to exponentiation. It is used to solve equations involving exponential expressions, such as taking the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number.

2. How do I solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you must first rewrite the equation in exponential form. Then, solve for the variable using basic algebraic principles.

3. What is the base of a logarithm?

The base of a logarithm is the number that is raised to a certain power. For example, in the expression log28, the base is 2.

4. Can a logarithm have a negative value?

Yes, a logarithm can have a negative value. However, the base of the logarithm must be a positive number. The result of a logarithm with a negative value will be a complex number.

5. How are logarithms used in real life?

Logarithms are used in various fields such as finance, science, engineering, and statistics. They are used to represent data that increases or decreases exponentially, make computations easier, and solve complex equations efficiently.