Solving a Logarithm: Can't Remember How? Try Here!

• Thread starter natgbz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, The conversation discusses a mathematical equation involving x, b, D, and a logarithm function. The participants are trying to solve for D, but are unsure if it is possible at an intermediate level of algebra. They suggest using the additive and multiplicative inverses of b/D and 'a' to simplify the problem, but it is ultimately determined that solving for D may not be possible using elementary functions.
natgbz
Can't remember how to do this (trying to solve for D):

x = b/D + a*log(D)

Any takers? Or is this impossible?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Additive inverse of b/D;
Multiplicative inverse of 'a';

Not sure if the rest is impossible. I'm stuck, since D is the input of the logarithm function and it occurs as a factor too. Am I forgetting something simple, or is this beyond "intermediate" level algebra?

symbolipoint said:
Additive inverse of b/D;
Multiplicative inverse of 'a';

Not sure if the rest is impossible. I'm stuck, since D is the input of the logarithm function and it occurs as a factor too. Am I forgetting something simple, or is this beyond "intermediate" level algebra?

Maybe I can simplify the problem here:

a, b, and c are real numbers, D is greater than zero

c = b/D + a*log(D)

how does one solve for D?

One doesn't. Not in terms of elementary functions anyway. It might be possible to solve it in terms of the "Lambert W function".

HallsofIvy said:
One doesn't. Not in terms of elementary functions anyway. It might be possible to solve it in terms of the "Lambert W function".

How bout a Taylor Series expansion?

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is written in the form logb(x) = y, where b is the base, x is the argument, and y is the solution.

Why is it important to know how to solve a logarithm?

Solving logarithms is important in many fields, such as mathematics, science, economics, and engineering. It is used to solve equations and model real-world situations, as well as to simplify complex calculations.

How do you solve a logarithm?

To solve a logarithm, you can use the logarithm properties and algebraic techniques to rewrite it in a simpler form. Then you can use the inverse operation, exponentiation, to find the solution. It is also helpful to review the rules and formulas for solving logarithms.

What if I can't remember how to solve a logarithm?

If you can't remember how to solve a logarithm, you can try using a logarithm calculator or looking up examples and explanations online. You can also seek help from a tutor or consult a textbook or other resources.

Are there any tips for solving logarithms more efficiently?

Yes, there are several tips for solving logarithms more efficiently. First, it is important to review and understand the properties and rules of logarithms. It can also be helpful to simplify the logarithm as much as possible before attempting to solve it. Additionally, practicing and solving more logarithm problems can improve your skills and speed.