1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a Matrix

Tags:
  1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    Mod note: Moved from a technical section, so is missing the homework template.
    I am using matrix methods to do ray optics but my knowledge on matrices is behind.

I found the system matrix to be
    \begin{bmatrix} \frac{-f_2}{f_1} & f_1 + f_2 \\ 0 & \frac{-f_1}{f_2} \end{bmatrix}

I want to find [itex]y_2[/itex] (height of the emerging ray) and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex] (angle of emerging ray...which should equal zero) so I set up the system as follows:

\begin{bmatrix} y_2 \\ \alpha_2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} \frac{-f_2}{f_1} & f_1 + f_2 \\ 0 & \frac{-f_1}{f_2} \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} y_0 \\ \alpha_0 \end{bmatrix}

(Apologies for the tex I couldn't figure out how to put it in one line)

Is this the correct way to set it up in order to find [itex]y_2[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex]? And how do I solve this system of matrices?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You don't "solve" the system - just do the indicated multiplication. If you're unclear about how to do that, do a web search for "matrix multiplication".

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the tex: If you want
    [tex] \pmatrix{-f_2/f_1&f_1+f_2\\0&-f_1/f_2} \pmatrix{y_0\\0}[/tex]
    just put it all on one line. Right-click on the line above (and choose to display as tex) in order to see the commands used. Of course, you could use displayed fractions instead; try it and see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted