1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a metric in vacuum

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm having problems solving this problem I got in class.
    I want to learn the concept and how to approach the solution.

Here it is:

Consider the metric

ds=dx^2+dy^2-dudv+2H(x,y,u)du^2

What form must the function H have for this metric to represent a plane gravitational wave propagating in vacuum?

This is how I'm approaching the problem:

first I let the metric be g_{σβ}=[1,0,0,0;0,1,0,0;0,0,2H,-1;0,0,-1,0]

and I know that in vacuum the Einstein equation in far outside the source's field leads to
    T^{σβ} = 0
    and I know that a metric representing a plane gravitational wave propagating in vacuum is
    g_{σβ=[1,0,0,0;0,1,0,0;0,0,0,-1;0,0,-1,0]

coming from the metric ds^2=-dudv+dx^2+dy^2

Then I don't know how to put the pieces together. I was thinking relating the Einstein equation in terms of the ricci tensor and solving for the Christoffel symbols.

Not sure. I need to understand better the problem and how to approach this problem.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2011 #2
    Can't you LaTeX this?

If the metric has a -dudv term then I think the matrix should have -0.5 in dudv and dvdu positions

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    the metric is

[itex]ds=dx^2+dy^2-dudv+2H(x,y,u)du^2 [/itex]

I know that in vacuum
    [itex]T^{σβ} = 0 [/itex]

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4
    I think you should derive the vacuum field equations.

Consider the trace of the EFE. This should allow you to prove that [itex]R_{\mu \nu}=0[/itex]

So it looks like you're going to have to work out a bunch of Christoffel symbols. Although it looks as though everything will vanish except for the situations when you have to take a derivative of [itex]g_{uu}[/itex]

Hopefully....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook