Solving a Physics Question: Alice, Bob, Charlie & Daniel

• Thread starter sherbet_pop1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving throwing rocks into a cave from a canyon. The participants need to calculate the time it takes for a rock to hit the top and bottom of the cave, as well as the velocity required to do so. The conversation also addresses the issue of understanding the problem versus just plugging in numbers, and the importance of not solving the problem completely for the sake of learning. The person seeking help was eventually able to solve the problem on their own.
sherbet_pop1
This is my first year at studying physics and I understand th econcepts however I am having trouble applying these concepts to "problem questions". This is a question I urgently need help with:

Lice, Bob, Charlie & Daniel are standing on the edge of a canyon which is 100m deep & 20m wide. On the opposite side of the canyon, there is a 10m high cave, 15m below the top of the cliff. They want to see who can throw a rock horizontally & get it into the cave. They each throw the rock with the following initial velocities: Alice 5m/s, Bob 10m/s, Cgarlie 15m/s, Daniel 20m/s. Whos rock makes it into the cave?

I know I need to find the time it takes for a rock to be thrown n hit the top of the cave, and for the bottom. Then calculate the time it takes each person the throw there rock and hit the opposing wall. Whoevers is inbetween the top of cave and bottom of cave times, is the person who will get there rock into the cave. I also know I must somewhere use the displacement rule...I have no idea how i should begin, what rules are needed, and how to complete such a difficult question! Help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to deal with vertical and horizontal motion separately. First I'd draw a sketch, if a picture isn't already given.

What is the height difference between where the kids are standing and the top of the cave? Once you know this you should be able to get the time to hit the top.

What is the height difference between where the kids are standing and the bottom of the cave? Once you know this you should be able to get the time to hit the bottom.

You can calculate the times for each person and find the times that are in between as you mentioned.

However, instead of calculating the times for each person... you can instead use the time to hit the top and bottom, and use that time to calculate the velocity required to hit the top or bottom. And then any velocity in between will get through. I think this is a little quicker to do.

Is it to be assumed that the top of the cliff on the cave side is the same height as the top of the cliff that the rockthrowers are standing on?

10 feet high, 15 feet below the top of the cliff? Is the top of the cave 15 feet below the top of the cliff, or is the bottom of the cave 15 feet below the top of the cliff, or is the center of the cave 15 feet below the top of the cliff?

Let's assume the middle.

[tex]y_f = y_i + v_{iy} + \frac {1}{2} g t^2[/tex]

[tex] y_i=0[/tex] if you consider the top of the cliff to be 0. Forget about the 100 m deep part. If you consider the ground to be 0 and the top of the cliffs to be 100, you're just adding math that doesn't need to be there to the problem.
[tex]v_{yi}=0[/tex] if they're throwing horizontal

so your formula simplifies to

[tex]y_f = \frac{1}{2} gt^2[/tex], where [tex]y_f[/tex] is the final y position below the top of the cliff.

Let's use Alice's number of 5 m/s.

[tex]y_f = \frac{1}{2}(9.8m/s^2) t^2[/tex]

We need to know t to get any further. T is easy since the all of the initial velocity is in the x direction, and gravity can't touch the x direction. So [tex]x_i[/tex] is equal to the velocity in the x direction for the entire problem. And in the x direction, the other cliff is 20 m away.

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t}[/tex] This should be intuitive. Just think of your car's speedometer. Your velocity might be 60 mi/h, where mi is a distance, and h is a time.

Therefore, [tex]t=\frac{d}{v}[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{20 m}{5 m/s}[/tex] The meters cancel, and you're left with

[tex]t=4 s[/tex]

Now that you have t, you can plug it into the above formula:
[tex]y_f = \frac{1}{2}(9.8m/s^2) t^2[/tex]

[tex]y_f = \frac{1}{2}(9.8 m/s^2) *(4s)^2[/tex]

the [tex]s^{2} [/tex] 's cancel

[tex]y_f=78.4 m[/tex]

Alice's rock will drop 78.4 meters by the time it reaches the other side. It will obviously miss the cave. Get an arm, Alice! Move over, it's Bob's turn...

please don't answer questions fully. Youre taking away form the learning experience. Helpfull hints are encouraged but DO NOT solve the full problem.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
please don't answer questions fully. Youre taking away form the learning experience. Helpfull hints are encouraged but DO NOT solve the full problem.

Regards,

Nenad
Sorry, but I only solved a quarter of the problem. There's 3 more people. And I justified every step to help him understand, rather than just doing it like I would do it on a homework. It was my intention to make sure that he understood it, because if you don't understand these kinds of problems, physics gets real tough!

He still needs to apply what I have explained to the 3 other people to get a complete answer worthy of turning in. And he also still has to resolve the height of the cave issue.

he can look at what you have done and then just plug in the new numbers to solve the other three people. That is not understanding the problem, that is plug and play.

Regards,

Nenad

You're right. I should have left a little more for him to solve. :smile: I just hope the explanations help him understand these type of projectile problems a little better.

I know some problems are very tempting to solve, and sometimes it is hard to resist solving a nice question or proof, but I have gotten in trouble for this kind of stuff before and now I see why.

Regards,

Nenad

THANX FOR EVERY1s HELP!

Thank-you everyone who atteptem to help me with my projectile Motion question. Hapilly though I was able to nut it out myself, which felt really great. Then I had all ur replys to let me know that indeed I had taken the correct path, so thanks

Felicia

1. How do I approach solving a physics question that involves multiple people?

When faced with a physics question that involves multiple people, it is important to first identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, draw a diagram or visualize the situation to help you understand the problem. Next, write down all relevant equations and variables. Finally, use logical reasoning and mathematical calculations to solve the problem step by step.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics question with multiple people?

One common mistake is to overlook or forget to consider all the forces acting on each person in the problem. Another mistake is to mix up the direction of forces or use incorrect signs for the variables. It is also important to be consistent with units and conversions. Lastly, be sure to double check your calculations and answer to avoid simple errors.

3. How do I determine which person to start solving the physics question with?

There isn't a specific order in which you should solve for the different people in the problem. However, it is generally helpful to start with the person or object that has the most known information or the simplest equation. This can make the problem easier to approach and solve.

4. How do I know if my answer to the physics question is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use the given information and equations to solve for the same variable using a different method. If you get the same result, then your answer is likely correct. You can also use common sense and physical reasoning to assess the reasonableness of your answer.

5. What are some tips for efficiently solving a physics question with multiple people?

One tip is to simplify the problem by breaking it down into smaller parts or focusing on one person at a time. Another tip is to use the given information to eliminate unnecessary variables or equations. Additionally, it can be helpful to use a consistent approach and notation throughout the problem. Practice and familiarity with different types of physics problems can also improve efficiency.