• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Solving a second order ode

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement:

##y"+y'\frac {1}{z}+y[\frac {z^2-n^2}{z^2}]=0##

Relevant Equations:

power series
let ##y= \sum_{k=-∞}^\infty a_kz^{k+c}##
##y'=\sum_{k=-∞}^\infty (k+c)a_kz^{k+c-1}##
##y"=\sum_{k=-∞}^\infty (k+c)(k+c-1)a_kz^{k+c-2}##
therefore,
##y"+y'\frac {1}{z}+y[\frac {z^2-n^2}{z^2}]=0## =##[\sum_{k=-∞}^\infty [(k+c)^2-n^2)]a_k + a_k-2]z^{k+c} ##
it follows that,
##(k+c)^2-n^2)]a_k + a_k-2=0##
if ##k=0, →c^2-n^2=0, a_0≠0##
##c^2=n^2, →c=±n ##(roots)
now considering case 1, if ##c=n##, and given k=1, then ##a_1=0##...this is the part that i am not getting.
i am ok with the rest of the steps...

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
therefore,
$$y"+y'\frac {1}{z}+y\Biggl [\frac {z^2-n^2}{z^2}\Biggr ]=0 $$ $$\Leftrightarrow \ (?) \\ \sum_{k=-∞}^\infty \Biggl [ (k+c)^2-n^2) a_k + a_k-2\Biggr ] z^{k+c} = 0 \\ \mathstrut \\ \mathstrut \\ $$

Doesn't seem right. I suppose you mean ##a_{k-2}##, not ##a_k - 2##. But: where is ##a_{k-1}## ?

[edit] can't get the scroll bar in the quote ! How come ?

chwala
Gold Member
yeah, it is supposed to be ##a_{k-2}##, i do not have ##a_{k-1} ## in my working, unless of course you want me to write all my steps...

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
do not have ##\ a_{k-1}\ ## in my working
I noticed that and I wondered what made the ##\ y'\over z\ ## series disappear :rolleyes: ?

Likes chwala
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
By the way, shouldn't it be ##\ a_{k+2}\ ## instead of ##\ a_{k-2}\ ## ?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
And never mind my blabbing about ##\ y'\over z\ ##, it actually seems to fall out.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
:smile: I suppose another o:) : Never mind my blabbing about ##a_{k+2}## either. I should retreat and only speak up after some sensible thinking :nb).
Sorry, Chwala !

By the way, I wonder why you sum starting from ##\ -\infty\ ##. Most analyses start at 0 !

• Haha
Likes chwala
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Took me a while to recognize your equation :cool: . Do you know what I mean ?

• Haha
Likes chwala
chwala
Gold Member
Bvu sorry i was in a zoom meeting. I just used the summing formula from my university notes, ....i have ##a_{k-2}## and not ##a_{k+2}##

chwala
Gold Member
And never mind my blabbing about ##\ y'\over z\ ##, it actually seems to fall out.
no worries, we are a community i really appreciate your input...

Likes PhDeezNutz and Delta2
Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The best way to go about this is to multiply the equation by [itex] z^2[/itex] to eliminate any division first. The way you went about it is convoluted and not posting the intermediate steps isn't helping.

Likes Delta2
chwala
Gold Member
I can solve the problem to the end....the only area that i do not understand is where i indicated, case 1, ...##k=1, a_1=0## this is the only area that i need help...how is this valid? (the reference that i am using is my undergraduate university notes, that i am trying to refresh on...

chwala
Gold Member
can we say, from ##[(k+c)^2-n^2)]a_k+a_{k-2}##=0, then if ## c=n## & ##k=1## then,
##(1+2n)a_1+a_{-1}=0##
##a_1+2na_1+a_{-1}=0##
is this correct thinking...

chwala
Gold Member
The best way to go about this is to multiply the equation by [itex] z^2[/itex] to eliminate any division first. The way you went about it is convoluted and not posting the intermediate steps isn't helping.
and can we solve this problem using laplace?

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Series solution is still a valid way to go about it, but I as taught to not be dividing when using a series solution. It looks odd to me.

Likes BvU
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Took me a while to recognize your equation :cool: . Do you know what I mean ?
the reference that i am using is my undergraduate university notes
I overlooked that one. Does it say there that you are usibg the Frobenius method to solve the Bessel equation ? (other link , link, solution with pictures, a whole chapter, ...).

And you should really start your power series from ##k=0##, not from ##k=-\infty##.

All this with just a little googling and without sitting down and seriously working out your core question ! Lazy me ... :wink:

My own notes are still somewhere in the attic and also in my brain, but under four and a half decades of dust :biggrin:

Likes chwala and PhDeezNutz
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
can we say, from ##[(k+c)^2-n^2)]a_k+a_{k-2}##=0, then if ## c=n## & ##k=1## then,
##(1+2n)a_1+a_{-1}=0##
##a_1+2na_1+a_{-1}=0##
is this correct thinking...
The problem is related to what the others have mentioned already a few times. The sum starts from ##k=0##, so the coefficient of the ##k=1## term is ##(1+2n)a_1##. There's no ##a_{-1}##.

benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
If ##a_k## is only defined for ##k=0,1,2,\ldots## don't you think that for the equation ##\left[ (k+c)^2-n^2\right] a_k+a_{k-2}=0## the only admissible values of ##k## are ##k=2,3,4,\ldots## ? For ##k=2,\text{ and }c=n## this would lead to ##a_2=\tfrac{a_0}{4(n+1)}## and [omitting steps] in general

$$a_{2k}=\tfrac{(-1)^k a_0}{4^k(k!)^2 \binom{n+k}{k} }, \quad k\in\mathbb{Z}^+$$
and
$$a_{2k+1}=\tfrac{(-1)^k a_{1}}{\prod_{j=1}^{k}\left[ (2j+1) (2n+2j+1)\right]}, \quad k\in\mathbb{Z}^+$$

Note: ##a_{2k+1}## is "not pretty" in terms of binomial coefficients, but probably looks ok in terms of double factorials. Just need initial conditions now?

Edit: I messed up the formula for ##a_{2k}## first time around, fixed it!

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala
Gold Member
I overlooked that one. Does it say there that you are usibg the Frobenius method to solve the Bessel equation ? (other link , link, solution with pictures, a whole chapter, ...).

And you should really start your power series from ##k=0##, not from ##k=-\infty##.

All this with just a little googling and without sitting down and seriously working out your core question ! Lazy me ... :wink:

My own notes are still somewhere in the attic and also in my brain, but under four and a half decades of dust :biggrin:
i guess the lecturer must have mentioned the method but i probably did not indicate the method on my working...

chwala
Gold Member
If ##a_k## is only defined for ##k=0,1,2,\ldots## don't you think that for the equation ##\left[ (k+c)^2-n^2\right] a_k+a_{k-2}=0## the only admissible values of ##k## are ##k=2,3,4,\ldots## ? For ##k=2,\text{ and }c=n## this would lead to ##a_2=\tfrac{a_0}{4(n+1)}## and [omitting steps] in general

$$a_{2k}=\tfrac{(-1)^k a_0}{4^k(k!)^2 \binom{n+k}{k} }, \quad k\in\mathbb{Z}^+$$
and
$$a_{2k+1}=\tfrac{(-1)^k a_{1}}{\prod_{j=1}^{k}\left[ (2j+1) (2n+2j+1)\right]}, \quad k\in\mathbb{Z}^+$$

Note: ##a_{2k+1}## is "not pretty" in terms of binomial coefficients, but probably looks ok in terms of double factorials. Just need initial conditions now?

Edit: I messed up the formula for ##a_{2k}## first time around, fixed it!
i am quite fine with the values ##k=2,3,4##... and how to find the solution. At the end we shall have a series solution of form ##y=y_1 + y_2##, alternating for ##k=2,4,6##.....and ##k=3,5,7##...my interest on this question is on the value of ##k=1##, i do not understand how ##a_1=0## but of course i may be missing something from the question as indicated by the responses...

chwala
Gold Member
The problem is related to what the others have mentioned already a few times. The sum starts from ##k=0##, so the coefficient of the ##k=1## term is ##(1+2n)a_1##. There's no ##a_{-1}##.
I think i may be wrong with my limits, ##k## should start from ##0## and not ##-∞##, as indicated...

chwala
Gold Member
...now considering case 1, if ##c=n##, and given ##k=1##, then ##a_1=0##...this is the part that i am not getting.

This is the part that i need understanding ...lets assume as you have put it that ##k## starts from ##0→+∞## then how is it that when ##k=1##, that ##a_1=0##
or the other possibility is that my statement (my notes) is/are incorrect.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
...now considering case 1, if ##c=n##, and given ##k=1##, then ##a_1=0##...this is the part that i am not getting.

This is the part that i need understanding ...lets assume as you have put it that ##k## starts from ##0→+∞## then how is it that when ##k=1##, that ##a_1=0##
or the other possibility is that my statement (my notes) is/are incorrect.
Not sure that introducing c helps. Why not just write ##y=\Sigma_0a_kz^k## and allow that a0 and so could be zero?
Then you can write equations for the z0 term, the z1 term, and a general equation for zk, k>1.
The cases to be considered are then n=0, n=1, n=2...; a particular value of k is not a 'case'.
You should find that ak=0 for k<n, an is unconstrained, and for k>n ak is some (varying) multiple of ak-2

chwala
Gold Member
1589374007299.png

chwala
Gold Member
i think going with the above attached example, i may have an idea as to why ##a_1=0##, by using the indicial equations (14) and (15) as my comparison,
in my case, i have the indicial equation as,
##[(k+c)^2-n^2)]a_k + a_{k-2}=0## for some reason they chose to use the first part of the indicial equation...
when ##k=0## it follows that ##c=±n##, we may as well choose to ignore the ##-c## and go for ##c=n##
now for ##k=1##, we shall have;
##[(k+c)^2-n^2)]a_k=0## just like in equation(16) of attachment... and ##c=n## therefore,
##[(1+n)^2-n^2)]a_1=0##
##(1+2n)a_1=0## avoiding special case ##n=-0.5##, results into ##a_1=0##