How to Solve Equations using TI-89 TIT Calculator?

• Thread starter 2Xist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a user experiencing a memory error when using the "Solve" function on their TI-89 calculator. After trying to reset the memory and reinstalling the OS, they asked for help and it was discovered that the issue was with their input. The correct input for the equation was solve(20 = 2*x,x) and once corrected, the function worked without error. It was noted that the TI-89 is a smart calculator and requires careful input.
2Xist
Hi everybody,

i was using the " Solve( " function in TI-89 TIT (home) and i inserted the function (* THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I TYPED IN *) :::::

solve(20=X(2),X)

i mean.. it should be 10 right?
but like it came up with the " memory error"

* I DID RESET MEMORY AND TRIED REINSTALLING OS <--lol
but none worked...

PLEASE TRY ON YOUR OWN CALCULATORS AND PLEASE HELP!

AGAIN PLEASE POST YOUR OWN RESULTS AFTER TRYING THE SAME EXACT EQUATION!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the problem is with your input. Try:

solve(20 = 2*x,x) and it should work just fine.

lol it worked !
thank you so much! lol
so was it just my calculator or did it happen to yours too??
i don't know know why i can't put X(2) when the brackets means multiplication as well...

I received the error as well. When you enter x(2) the 89 thinks that you are treating x as a function of a variable when that variable is equal to the value 2, but you have not defined the function x. That is why you received the error. The TI-89 is a very smart calculator, so you have to be especially conscious of how you input.

What is a simple equation?

A simple equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities using symbols, such as numbers and letters, and mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How do you solve a simple equation?

To solve a simple equation, the goal is to isolate the variable (the unknown quantity) on one side of the equation and the numbers on the other side. This is done by performing the same mathematical operations on both sides of the equation until the variable is left alone.

What are the different methods for solving a simple equation?

There are several methods for solving a simple equation, including the inverse operation method, the balancing method, and the substitution method. These methods involve different steps and approaches, but they all lead to the same solution.

What happens if there is more than one variable in an equation?

If there is more than one variable in an equation, the goal is still to isolate one variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using the same methods as with a single variable equation, but it may require more steps and operations.

Why is it important to check the solution of a simple equation?

It is important to check the solution of a simple equation because it ensures that the solution is correct. This is done by plugging the solution back into the original equation and verifying that both sides are equal. If they are not equal, then there may have been an error in the solving process.