Solving Logarithms: Finding the Solution for ln(x) + ln(y) = 0

• Thread starter obsolete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary: How about the property of:ln(x) + ln(y) = ln(xy)Taking ln x to the other side and exponentiating gives:y = e^{-\ln x}ln(x)+ln(y)=ln(xy) is easier.Thanks for the replies everyone.
obsolete
Hi everyone.

I know this question is quite simple but I can't wrap my head around it at the moment..

Solve for y: ln(x) + ln(y) = 0

I've tried differentiating both terms and then arranging for y but I get y = -x. The answer is meant to be y = 1/x.

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the property of:
ln(x) + ln(y) = ln(xy)

Taking ln x to the other side and exponentiating gives:

[tex]y = e^{-\ln x}[/tex]

I think the problem you are having is that you are thinking "[itex]e^{\ln x}= x[/itex], so this one should be -x". But remember the the negative sign is in the exponent.

If that is still not clear enough perhaps this will help : [itex] a \log x = \log (x^a)[/itex] for any base.

obsolete said:
I've tried differentiating both terms and then arranging for y but I get y = -x. The answer is meant to be y = 1/x.

You cannot differentiate both sides, because those are numbers not functions. The derivatives will yield zero and nothing important.

ranger said:
How about the property of:
ln(x) + ln(y) = ln(xy)

Gosh, do I feel dumb! I did that by writing it as ln x= -ln y.

Yes, ln x+ ln y= ln xy= 0 is easier.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had already considered ln(x) + ln(y) = ln(xy) but I don't know how to approach the problem using this law. Any directions?

Thanks again.

obsolete said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had already considered ln(x) + ln(y) = ln(xy) but I don't know how to approach the problem using this law. Any directions?

Thanks again.

You've got ln(xy)=0. What then is the value of xy?

Forget the ln(xy), and use your ln(x)+ln(y)=0
do what you did next, your gut instinct was right.
ln(x)=-ln(y)
now don't exponentiate yet, what's -ln(y)? Remeber a*log(x) = log(x^a) right? so what's (-1)*ln(y)?

After you understand that, exponentiate, and solve :) e^log(a)=a

Just to add, the ln(xy) way works too. Its just that I don't want you to think that the way you started was wrong.

I finally understand =)

Thanks all!

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse of an exponential function. It is used to solve equations where the unknown variable is in the exponent.

How do you solve a simple logarithm?

To solve a simple logarithm, you can rewrite it as an exponential equation. Then, use the properties of exponents to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and change of base rule. These rules help simplify logarithmic equations and make them easier to solve.

Can you solve a logarithm without a calculator?

Yes, you can solve a logarithm without a calculator by using the properties of logarithms and simplifying the equation to a point where you can easily solve for the unknown variable. However, a calculator can make the process faster and more efficient.

What are some real-life applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science. They are used to measure the magnitude of earthquakes, calculate pH levels, and determine the growth rate of populations. They are also used in financial calculations such as compound interest and in engineering for signal processing and circuit analysis.