1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a square root

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. I'm trying to solve this equation: 16.9038=[itex]\sqrt{1470tan\theta}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just need to know what theta is. It's been a while since I've calculated something like this and just need someone to show me the steps involved. I know theta is =11, just need to know how to get there. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The most obvious thing to do is to square both sides of the equation.

I'm guessing that the answer you are given is in degrees. If so, you need to include that information in your answer. A numeric angle measure without units is usually considered to be in radians.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Haha. DUH on my part! I figured it was something obvious. I just squared both, divided that by 1470, plugged that answer into the inverse tangent, and voila...11 degrees. Thanks. My mind just drew a blank on that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook