Solving Square Root Equation: Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Theta

In summary, the individual is seeking help in solving the equation 16.9038 = sqrt(1470tan(theta). They mention that theta is equal to 11, but need assistance in finding the steps to get there. The solution involves squaring both sides of the equation, dividing by 1470, and using the inverse tangent function to find the angle measure in degrees. The individual thanks the helper for pointing out the obvious solution.
chevymechanic

Homework Statement

Hello. I'm trying to solve this equation: 16.9038=[itex]\sqrt{1470tan\theta}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to know what theta is. It's been a while since I've calculated something like this and just need someone to show me the steps involved. I know theta is =11, just need to know how to get there. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
chevymechanic said:

Homework Statement

Hello. I'm trying to solve this equation: 16.9038=[itex]\sqrt{1470tan\theta}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to know what theta is. It's been a while since I've calculated something like this and just need someone to show me the steps involved. I know theta is =11, just need to know how to get there. Thanks.
The most obvious thing to do is to square both sides of the equation.

I'm guessing that the answer you are given is in degrees. If so, you need to include that information in your answer. A numeric angle measure without units is usually considered to be in radians.

Haha. DUH on my part! I figured it was something obvious. I just squared both, divided that by 1470, plugged that answer into the inverse tangent, and voila...11 degrees. Thanks. My mind just drew a blank on that one.

1. What is a square root equation?

A square root equation is an equation in the form of √x = y, where x is a number and y is the square root of that number. This equation can be solved to find the value of x.

2. How do I solve a square root equation?

The first step in solving a square root equation is to isolate the square root on one side of the equation. Then, raise both sides of the equation to the power of 2 to eliminate the square root. Finally, solve for the unknown variable by using basic algebraic operations.

3. What is theta in a square root equation?

Theta (θ) represents the unknown variable in a square root equation. It is the number that needs to be solved for in order to make the equation true.

4. Can square root equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, square root equations can have multiple solutions. This is because the square root of a number can have both positive and negative solutions. When solving a square root equation, it is important to check for extraneous solutions by plugging the solutions back into the original equation.

5. Are there any special cases in solving square root equations?

Yes, there are two special cases in solving square root equations. The first is when the square root is isolated on one side of the equation and the other side is equal to 0. In this case, the solution is the number inside the square root. The second special case is when the square root is on both sides of the equation. In this case, the equation can be solved by squaring both sides twice.