How can I solve this standard integral using substitution?

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating a function and the best approach to take. The suggestion is made to use a substitution of u=sin^2(x)+1 and the corresponding indefinite integral is found. A step-by-step calculator is recommended as a practice tool, but it cannot be used on exams. The conversation also mentions that solving integrals requires knowledge of different techniques for each type of integral.
Andrea Vironda
Homework Statement
Solve this integral
Relevant Equations
I think parametrization is needed
Hi,
I'd like to integrate this function: $$ \int _0^ {\pi/2} 2 \sin(x) \cos(x) \sqrt {1+\sin^{2}(x) } dx $$.
I think I should introduce some substitution but I'm not sure. How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I could tell you, but you will learn better if you try it on your own. What have you tried?

Likes SammyS
In my opinion I could define ##u=\sin^2(x)+1##, so ##du=2\sin(x)\cos(x)dx##.
Then ##\int_0^{\pi/2}\sqrt{u}du=2(\sqrt2-1)## but this is not the right solution.

Likes docnet
Don't forget to change the limits of integration, unless you substitute u back into the expression after integration.

This is what I'm getting for the corresponding indefinite integral.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 4.23.42 AM.png

If I may, I would suggest a step-by-step calculator to guide you.

https://www.integral-calculator.com

That calculator cannot help you on exams, but it could help you practice solving integrals.

Last edited:
That's a good substitution, but I don't think you did the integral correctly. What is the indefinite integral of u^(1/2)?

Likes docnet
You don't need a substitution or anything, just note that ##(1+\sin^2{x})' = 2\sin{x} \cos{x}## :smile:

Likes docnet
Solving integrals is an art

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the exact value of a function or to calculate the area of a region.

2. How do you solve a standard integral?

To solve a standard integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. These techniques involve manipulating the integral to make it easier to solve, and then using basic integration rules to find the solution.

3. What are the benefits of solving a standard integral?

Solving a standard integral allows us to find the exact value of a function or calculate the area of a region accurately. It is also a crucial tool in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve continuous quantities.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a standard integral?

Some common mistakes when solving a standard integral include forgetting to apply the correct integration technique, making errors in algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to include the constant of integration in the final solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving standard integrals?

To improve your skills in solving standard integrals, it is essential to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different integration techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources to learn and understand the concepts better.