1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a system of equations

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is asking for the internal forces at E, but I get stuck solving the external reactions. After that, I can do it, and have, using electronically generated results. I just get stuck solving the system of equations I get after doing the determinant equations.

We ignore the reactions at E. Those will be applied in the next step, where I find the internal forces there. I just drew them in to help me remember where they are, and to visualize the problem.

The moment occurring between O and C has a magnitude of 300 kNm, and acts in the k direction.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \Sigma M_x = A_z + 0.4B_z - 0.75C_y - 5 = 0[/tex]
    [tex] \Sigma M_y = A_z + 0.75C_x = 0[/tex]
    [tex] \Sigma M_z = -A_y - 0.4B_x - 10 = 0[/tex]
    [tex] \Sigma F_x = C_x + B_x + +7 = 0[/tex]
    [tex] \Sigma F_y = C_y + A_y - 12 = 0[/tex]
    [tex] \Sigma F_z = B_z + A_z - 5 = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried it for two different unknowns, and both times it didn't work. Sorry for the poor images; I did the work in pencil, and it wouldn't scan very well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the real answers, and when I put my equations into a computer, it solves them and gets these. As such, I know my equations are correct. My problem just pops up when I try and solve for each unknown. If anyone could help me see where I went wrong, I'd be very grateful to them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2
    So no one's able to help with this? Its driving me crazy; I've done the work on this four or five times now, and have gotten everything else I need for the question done already.

Strongly tempted to just say that I used a computer to solve the system, as that isn't even the main point of the problem .

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Perhaps the reason that nobody has been able to help was that there were no question anywhere.

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    Um, I'd have thought I made it clear that I would like someone to check my work, to see if they could spot any errors. I wasn't just posting this for fun.

Some reading comprehension skills may benefit you.

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Thankfully, my comprehension skills do not extend to reading nonsense. But your manners could do with some improving. I was only trying to help. I'll ignore your tone this time.

Ask other people if they have had the patience to go through your messy diagram.

7. Nov 11, 2007 #6
    I don't want to get in a fight, so I apologize. However, I do feel that you were overly snippy earlier.

Also, my diagram. is fine. Neatness is not a requisite for proficiency, nor is the diagram important in this case. As I said, I'm sure the formulas are correct, and I wrote them in digitally.

In any case, this isn't helping anyone. If you can see my problem, please point it out. If not, have a good day and leave me and my drawings alone.

8. Nov 11, 2007 #7
    No need to fight folks :) why dont we fight the problem :)

could you make a better draw vidatu? cause i as well have a lil problem reading your draw

9. Nov 11, 2007 #8
    [​IMG]

Hm. I had the arrows going the wrong way when I first uploaded this. All better now.

10. Nov 11, 2007 #9

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Hey Vidatu,

I can assure you that I had absolutely no intention of being snippy. If I made you feel bad, I’m sorry. Let’s forget all this.

And this diagram is fantastic.

11. Nov 11, 2007 #10
    No problem. I've had a long day of solving shear/moment diagrams, and should probably go to bed soon. I guess I'm not in the best of moods.

So, anyway, can anyone see where I messed up?

12. Nov 11, 2007 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Those solutions don't agree with the relevant equations. Look at the expressions for [itex]\sum F_y[/itex] and [itex]\sum F_z[/itex] with those numbers. Either these numbers or your equations are incorrect.

13. Nov 11, 2007 #12
    Um, yeah. That's because I messed up typing in the equations. I've fixed that now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?